Propress in a tight spot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propress in a tight spot

got a call yesterday from a new customer i met the day before at the hardware store.

i was helping out at the hardware store when he had come in for help with a seat wrench. told him he was in luck as i don't really work here

but i'm really a plumber helped him out and he asked for my card. never thought he would call less than 24 hours later with an emergency

turns out his tenant hit a hose bibb in the garage and kinked it bad enough to leak.

we decided to eliminate this hose bibb as it's in a garage that is served by a sump pump for the emergency drains. typically hose bibbs are not allowed when the drain in the garage are not gravity to the street.

the 1/2'' pipe was located behind the stucco and shear-wall. fortunately there was about 2'' of pipe i was able to salvage and not have to cut into the wall to get to it.

so how to you cap a pipe that's flush with the wall and still running?

with propress of course

used my new swivel jaws to allow the jaw and tool to make the press without getting into the wall while the water was still running

here is a better link to the swivel jaws. http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/ProPress-Rings

rick.

kinked 1/2'' copper.

hard to see, but the jaws that allowed me to access the fitting are the new swivel jaws. normally the tool and jaws are perpendicular to the pipe fitting. in this case i'm parellel to the pipe .

pressed a female adapter on so it can be used later if need be to install another bibb. spoke about an acorn recessed locking hose bibb box.

hose bibb 1, car 0. this is a 15 year old building and first time it's been hit.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 07-16-2009, 09:20 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Propress in a tight spot

So what happened to the car?

Comment

it has new 3d pin stripping

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Slick Rick, that could have been a ugly hole if not for a cool tool. Bet when you saw the problem it took about 5 seconds and you said "I Got Something For That".

Comment

I see the scratch, maybe it's the sun that has turned my hair blond but I don't get how the car got the scratch or as you put it "new 3d pin stripping". Wow, I missed that completely the guy hit it with his car I got it, I have had the flu for the past five days so give me a break alright.
          Last edited by DanLawrence; 07-16-2009, 05:34 PM. Reason: I am a dork

Comment

Look at the bright side. Now that driver can start his life over...FROM SCRATCH.

Great story. Thanks for posting Rick!

Comment

So did the property owner charge the guy who scratched his car for the repair? (insult to injury)

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                So did the property owner charge the guy who scratched his car for the repair? (insult to injury)
                i doubt it as the owner was a real nice guy that i met the day before and for what i billed him, he'll just brown bag it tomorrow

the girl didn't even realize she hit anything

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by RIDGID Dave View Post
                  Look at the bright side. Now that driver can start his life over...FROM SCRATCH.

Great story. Thanks for posting Rick!
                  dave it's bad enough that i try to throw out the puns

but make sure you don't quit your day job you never know when i might be calling

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

That settles it. I am getting PROPRESS!!, thanks for the story Rick
                    I've never used it before and now wonder why I have'nt
                    I don't bite my finger nails, I KNOW when payday is, and yes, it can run uphill when it gets blocked(or you install a grinder pump) so HA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                      Shouldn't the vehicle owner be charging the diabolical property owner for creating
                      a nuisance by having that hose bibb dangling out there where it can grab the side
                      of your car and mangle it all up?

Nice work Rick.

Look; up in the sky; it's a shooting star; it's a flying saucer; no, it's ProPress Man
                      (AKA Rick) coming to rescue another homeowner.

Hey, that has the makings of an ad campaign.

Name:  c546f9fe4ec87793260a82aa8c0cf0c3.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  100.2 KB
                      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

man.. that makes Rick look a little bit scary. Fun with photoshop.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          got a call yesterday from a new customer i met the day before at the hardware store.

i was helping out at the hardware store when he had come in for help with a seat wrench. told him he was in luck as i don't really work here

but i'm really a plumber helped him out and he asked for my card. never thought he would call less than 24 hours later with an emergency

turns out his tenant hit a hose bibb in the garage and kinked it bad enough to leak.

we decided to eliminate this hose bibb as it's in a garage that is served by a sump pump for the emergency drains. typically hose bibbs are not allowed when the drain in the garage are not gravity to the street.

the 1/2'' pipe was located behind the stucco and shear-wall. fortunately there was about 2'' of pipe i was able to salvage and not have to cut into the wall to get to it.

so how to you cap a pipe that's flush with the wall and still running?

with propress of course

used my new swivel jaws to allow the jaw and tool to make the press without getting into the wall while the water was still running

here is a better link to the swivel jaws. http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/ProPress-Rings

rick.

kinked 1/2'' copper.

hard to see, but the jaws that allowed me to access the fitting are the new swivel jaws. normally the tool and jaws are perpendicular to the pipe fitting. in this case i'm parellel to the pipe .

pressed a female adapter on so it can be used later if need be to install another bibb. spoke about an acorn recessed locking hose bibb box.

hose bibb 1, car 0. this is a 15 year old building and first time it's been hit.
                          Tools make the man!
                          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                            Tools make the man!
                            I respectfully think the opposite.

J.C.

Comment

Mine<Tools make the man!>

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              I respectfully think the opposite.

J.C.
                              Clearly man makes tools. Tools, however, also make it possible for man to be far more efficient at each occupation than would otherwise be possible.

Rick, as a plumber, is able to offer services in a manner that many competing plumbers can't because he was willing to make the investment in tools. If Rick hadn't spent the several hundred dollars to buy the XC kit he would have had to bust open the wall. So not only was Rick able to do the job quickly and more easily than a plumber without that particular tool, he also saved the HO money. Then the HO would have to pay someone else to repair the wall.
                              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                              X