close quarters ratcheting tubing cutter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: close quarters ratcheting tubing cutter

I've been using the one sold by Sears for years now , beats a imp/mini any day . Not real heavy duty but they still give me a new one every time I take it back , the screw shaft seems to be the weak link in it .
    Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

I am with JC. I found the general autocuts great for repeatative cuts in close quarters, but (maybe it is just my caveman hands) the wheels seem a bit fragile to me.

Comment

I also agree with JC. This thing looks really cool but i use the masters pipe slice by GF Thompson. They are cheap and sold at wholesalers and even HD where I live and they work awesome. Pretty much exactly the same as what he made a link to. I have small hands so sometimes I can get away with this cheap close quarters cutter I bought at princess auto. If the pipe is not to be saved the sawzall works great but as Rick mentioned the shavings can be an issue down the road, and sometimes it can be hard to square the cut.

Comment

Originally posted by Marklar89 View Post
          I also agree with JC. This thing looks really cool but i use the masters pipe slice by GF Thompson. They are cheap and sold at wholesalers and even HD where I live and they work awesome. Pretty much exactly the same as what he made a link to. I have small hands so sometimes I can get away with this cheap close quarters cutter I bought at princess auto. If the pipe is not to be saved the sawzall works great but as Rick mentioned the shavings can be an issue down the road, and sometimes it can be hard to square the cut.
          I have these Marklar. Wonder who makes who's?

http://www.rothenbergertools.us/12_R..._Sweatbox.html

J.C.

Comment

GF thompson also makes one for cleaning pipe too. Do you have one of these JC? I had one for a while but didn't like it because it seems to not sand deep enough. I use open mesh or steel wool mostly for cleaning prior to soldering, or sometimes my lenox 4 in hand brush.

Comment

I missed this thread until now, now I know what my next buy will be. Thanks for this thread Rick. It's still kind of big, however it sure beats, beating my knuckles into the wall or another pipe......
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                i'll have to take a photo of what i think is the best close quarters ratcheting tubing cutter out there.

it's for 1/4''- 1.125'' od

marketed by sears and is also a lifetime guarantee.

i'm on my second one in 6 years.

here is the link to the cutter.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=tubing+cutter

sorry ridgid, but i don't see yours working in as tight a spot.

rick.
                Wow, I actually bought a plumbing tool that Rick thinks is a good one! Cool I saw it in Menards and thought it might do the job. Thanks for that little bit of affirmation.
                God Bless You Super Good!!!

Comment

i have used autocuts for 5 years-they were my only cutter up to 1"--but the 118 2 n 1 works better-trust me

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    i'll have to take a photo of what i think is the best close quarters ratcheting tubing cutter out there.

it's for 1/4''- 1.125'' od

marketed by sears and is also a lifetime guarantee.

i'm on my second one in 6 years.

here is the link to the cutter.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=tubing+cutter

sorry ridgid, but i don't see yours working in as tight a spot.

rick.
                    Rick? Is your cutter still on the job? Admittedly mine isn't a Craftsman, but it looks exactly the same, except mine broke where the threaded tube connects to the backside of the cutter head. On the 2nd cut no less!
                    God Bless You Super Good!!!

Comment

i wore 1 out after a couple years of tight work. the ratcheting paw was slipping on the glass filled housing. took it back to sears for a free swap

we'll see how adam likes his as we both purchased a new one last week or 2.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

will have to buy this bad boy soon

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...p+Tool+Choices

all power....

Comment

get a milwaukee cordless tubing cutter.... problem solved

Comment

Working...
                          X