X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding the right bender

I'm new to this and any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to be bending 1/2" and 3/8" stainless steel tubing .049 thick. What bender will work? This is a small project, thanks for the help

Re: Help finding the right bender

I would think a lever bender would be good,
    http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/400-Seri...s/EN/index.htm

I have used them for bending hydralic steel tubing for high pressrue hydralics, does a beautiful job,

Ridgid main bender page,
    http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Bending-...ming/index.htm

Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks, I'm going to be bending stainless for high pressure hydraulics and answers my question. Greatly appreciated

Comment

Greenlee 855 ,I think the 854 would also have the capacity! Good luck Tool ,Try toolup
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Ridgid PB-28. Does a beautifull job, maybe a little expensive, but worth every penny.

Comment

RIDGID 508 or equal from Imperial-Eastman.

1/2" .049 SS wall is tough to bend, I've bent much of it and also 1/2" .065 wall which will pull your back out after a few days of bending. I believe the Imperial benders have a tab on the bottom of the bender that you can clamp in a machinist vise.

Before the 'improved' style benders came out in the mid 70s we used to take the straight lever benders like the old RIDGID which I don't even see on their site any more and TIG a tab of steel to the bottom that we could then clamp in the vise. Then you could get two hands on the other handle to pull like hell. Also those old straight handle benders (those where the handles are 180 deg apart when the tube is loaded in the bender were unmerciful to use when bending 065 wall 3/8 and 1/2" SS tubing. Go for the better quality benders with rollers and you will get better results and less strain on arms and back. That is if you have a few hundred bends to make. We also had a few other mods but I can't give it all away, maybe at the Roundup if I ever make it.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

When I was employed (before retirement) we had some very good Ridgid heavy duty tubing benders. By "heavy duty" I meant the tubing itself as we had numerous machines that used hydraulics. Depending on the radius of the bend of the tubing you will be working with these would may be what you want. The bend radius was somewhat large but that was fine for what we were doing. The unit was larger than the pictures presented in the postings here. Good Luck, David

Comment

Working...
              X