Recommendations on threading

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations on threading

I don't know how much any of you have to thread SS, Monel, AL-6XN, or 1.25% or 2.25% Cr pipe, but if you do what problems have you had and how did you solve them?

Ever seen microscopic cracks in the threads after cutting new AL-6XN pipe?

What cutting oils have you used and what worked best or did changing oils not make any difference? Haven't tried the RIDGID Extreme oil yet, I'll have to check and see if we have any in stock and maybe order some in.

What dies are you using for these metals? Have SS dies worked or not?

What about the model 1210 oil-less threader with or w/o coolant? What about using Rapid-Tap or Tap-Free?

I've seen various makes of pipe machines that spin at different speeds, but never one (in the 2" and under category anyway) with multiple speeds. Anyone ever seen one and would it help with threading some metals? We are using more and more AL-6XN so this is something that we will run into time and again and need to solve. I am just starting to look into this so still collecting info and looking for answers.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Re: Recommendations on threading

wtf bob

you work in a nuke plant or something

i have the 1210 oiless and it cuts the best looking factory threads of all the machines i own. 300, 700, 600, 22a, and of course all the hand dies.

just not sure if it was ever rated for ss pipe. the dies are titanium coated and the fluid drip is great. very very clean.

the answer will be with steve morris aka smorris

he should be able to give you the scoop on the best set up.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for throwing me in, Rick.

I just do the machines. Don's the thread guru. He says:

We do our SS testing on 304 and 316 using Extreme oil only. We don't test on other exotic materials.

The 1210 die design is not appropriate for threading SS. Die life would be minimal.

As far as machines that thread with multiple spindle speeds; we have the 1822 and the 535 Automatic. Try threading 1-1/4" and larger SS at the 16 RPM speed.

Hopefully that helps a little, Bob.

Steve
      Steve
      www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

I've never seen anything "microscopic." HA!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. And I'll give the suggestions a try.

Can this be from Hydrogen embrittlement? Do regular cutting oils have anything in them that might contribute to Hydrogen embrittlement or hardening of the metal which might lead to HIC?

I looked at this bulletin put out by Allegheny-Ludlum (see
          Guidelines for machining AL-6XN Alloy, pg 36) which talks
          about machining and recommends some very low feed rates
          for die threading.

Comment

my buddy owns a machine shop and he uses a single point carbide tool insert with about 14 passes to cleanly thread pipe.

he's done stainless, but it's all done on his cnc lathes.

you might look into a machine shop attempting to cut the threads on the lathe and see if that would be an option for you.

we also got into a heated debate last weekend over the taper and hand tight thread count.

i said 2.5-3 hand tight threads and he said 4.5 hand tight threads.

i looked it up on the ridgid forum and owners manual

he looked it up in his machinist bible.

ridgid said 2-3 threads hand tight

his bible said 4.5

i guess we're both right

funny thing was we grabbed some brand new 1/2'' nipples and fittings and got anywhere from 2.25-3.25 threads. so i won

the cnc might be your way out

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              I don't know how much any of you have to thread SS, Monel, AL-6XN, or 1.25% or 2.25% Cr pipe, but if you do what problems have you had and how did you solve them?

Ever seen microscopic cracks in the threads after cutting new AL-6XN pipe?

What cutting oils have you used and what worked best or did changing oils not make any difference? Haven't tried the RIDGID Extreme oil yet, I'll have to check and see if we have any in stock and maybe order some in.

What dies are you using for these metals? Have SS dies worked or not?

What about the model 1210 oil-less threader with or w/o coolant? What about using Rapid-Tap or Tap-Free?

I've seen various makes of pipe machines that spin at different speeds, but never one (in the 2" and under category anyway) with multiple speeds. Anyone ever seen one and would it help with threading some metals? We are using more and more AL-6XN so this is something that we will run into time and again and need to solve. I am just starting to look into this so still collecting info and looking for answers.

A few weeks ago i had a job at a local chrome plating plant that i needed to cut about 6 threads on sch.40 SS pipe. Phoned up the local ridgid rep wondering about how the chassers in my 300 would hold up against SS. What he said was as long as you have the high speed dies - cutting threads with a 300 should not be a problem. Lots of cutting oil and removal of curly's after each cut is necessary though.

That being said - I only needed a few threads cut. Ridgid part no. 47790 is what i would pick up.

Comment

A lathe is something that was considered but it adds time to the job. The job site is large and the distance between any of the machine shops and potential work sites is significant.

We could use the lathe and cut threads on pieces with 6" random ends, that would allow enough for field fit up, but an extra 6" of AL-6XN (x 20 or so pieces) is not cheap.

Comment

Be very careful. Those materials will stress corrosion crack with cutting oils due to the sulfur in them. They are gummy sticky and nasty to machine. Best to cut on a lathe with a water based cutting fluid that is approved for the material or grind the threads on a CNC

Comment

Bob;

The 1210 has a max capacity of 1" and although Rick is right about the incredible quality of the threads with the titanium coated dies I am not so sure the die life or thread quality will be as good with SS. Any of RIDGID's other machine 300 C (2") 535M (2") would be better choices because you can then use SS dies (a must) SS cutter wheel (a must) and you can also use Ridge's new thread oil, Endura-Clear, that is designed to produce effective threads on a variety of materials.....worth looking into.

Tool

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      my buddy owns a machine shop
                      rick.
                      did you know Rick has a lot of buddy's
                      i know his buddy Steve now
                      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php