Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: we may make a plumber out of you yet.

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
    notice the romex coming out of the emt with no bushing? whats safer?
    This could be easily remedied... just gotta pull everything back through and put a bushing on.

the fiber glass appears lose. take it out sweat put it back. or just put the head of you torch on the back side of fitting so it points away from fiberglass
    Yep... already stapled back in there and put another new layer in. Wasnt an issue with directing the flame since I pressed that section.

also the propress appears to crush the copper on the tee. it looks worse than an unreamed cut. how much of a restriction does this cause? think multiple fittings. not sayin nuthin now just askin just askin. breid.............:
    Pressing 1/2" does minimally constrict the tubing. The larger the pipe the less constriction there is. We are still only talking like 2-5% at the most. About the same constriction as if you had a small bead of solder on the inside from sweating the joint. I dont know if its the angle I took the picture at or the lighting but it looks a bit more constricted than it actually is if you cut it apart. I grabbed a 3/4" sample out of RIDGID Dave's office to try to show what it looks like inside. Here is a shot down the tubing.. You can see the minimal distortion inside. About what you would see with a bead of solder.

And as long a I had the camera out here is a pic of a cross section of how the tubing is pressed on both sides of the O-Ring

Attached Files

Comment

Re: Hack Job Fixup - Josh's basement

josh. i was not poking you in the eye. i just noticed it thats all. some staples would be nice to. i know you didn't put it in...............on propress your right that fitting looked crushed. i thought at the time that it was the way the light reflected on the connection. but you are the minder for ridgid. so i asked. i actually have never seen a propress fitting or press. most of what i see here is gal pipe. all i do is repair work. thank for pics and explanation. breid........

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Who's afraid of Kraftbacked paper?!?!?

J.C.
        That's what I was going to say! Direct your torch away from it or use water/sheet metal to keep it from burning. Hanging a pie pan from the joist with a nail works good. These are tricks old guys taught me, old guys who didn't use propress unfortunately. Good work nonetheless, and nice job on the solders!

Comment

Josh I was going to say the same thing about the crushing of the pipe. I also now use propress almost every day and I've never seen it look like that.

edit: with the naked eye it really doesn't look crushed. I just took a picture of a pressed 1/2" elbow and in the picture it really shows the crush marks, with the naked eye it's not so apparent.
          Last edited by ironranger; 09-06-2009, 06:24 PM.

Comment

is that low voltage wire running through the iron pipe?

Comment

Its phone line.. and yes they used old iron pipe as the conduit

Originally posted by Athanatos View Post
              is that low voltage wire running through the iron pipe?

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                Josh,

Nice Job man!!

Next time get some action shots with yourself holding the propress like our boy Rick

But ya, Nice work for sure,

The whole pro-press thing is simply fantastic, no flames, so much safer !!
                Hi all, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!
                Watch Anime Episodes

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                  your a pro now
                  License...we don't need no stinking license.

No permit either, I'll wager.

Comment

Working...
                  X