X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With 300!

I have a 300 pipe threader that is not threading correctly. Teh last time it was used, the main pin that hold the die was broken. I replaced the pin with and tried to use it today. It is overcutting the threads, and gouging in other spots. I bought new dies, and the problem remains. I am only threading 2" & 11/2" galvanized pipe in 3' lengths. Any help would be appreciated.
    D.

Re: Help With 300!

The problem that broke a pin is still with You ! Look elsewhere grasshopper!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

If you are talking about the pin that the die swivels on in the carrage.

Sounds like you did not get it seated squarely in the die head.

or

The hole in the carrage where this pin fits is wallowed out some and not letting the die head square ou to the pipe.

Big question is how did the pin get broken to start with, this might help answer the original question. I have seen a carrage that was dropped (from a considerable distance) that was bent. The 300 carrage is a tuff brute for sure but can be damaged.

Something else to consider, try threading a piece of pipe the both sets of chucks will tighten up on. This will ensure that the pipe is squared up to the carrage at least.

Do you have another die head or can borrow one to try on this machine, or try your die head out on another machine?

G3

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I dont know how the pin was broken, someone else was using the machine when it broke. I drove the new pin in and it is flush with the carriage. The entire unit is practically new, so I dont think the hole is worn. I am looking for someone else in the area that has a 300.

Comment

adjust your dies on a factory nipple and use plenty of fresh, clean ridgid thread cutting oil.

of course the pipe you're using could be at fault.

try adjusting the dies based on a factory threaded piece.

oil delivery and sharp dies are critical.

being a new machine, have you ever had luck with it?

is it possibly user error?

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I tried 2 or 3 different pipes, even removed the dies and put in the smaller pipe dies- same result. I did use the machine before the pin broke with great success. Could be user error, but I have used before as I said. I think the die head may be at fault, maybe slightly warped from the broken pin? Where is the best place to buy a replacement?

Comment

I was looking at the dies on ebay and noticed the pin is turned so that the flat flaced groove is positioned so that it faces out. I am not sure if I have the pin oriented that way. Would this make a difference?

Comment

The flat face is for the newer self oiling die heads, you will notice that there is a small hole in the fllat area for the oil to go into the die head itself. If you just hammered in the pin you might have warped the head itself if you did not have proper support under it. I use a press and press them in, you will notice on the front side of the head (opposite of the pin hole) there is a slight offset.

Look at the pin where it seats on the die head, make sure it is put in all the way, there should not be any gap at the shoulder, all the way around.

Let us know how you make out with the problem.

G3

Comment

The cutting head is "out of square", find out why and all problems are solved

Comment

I looked at it again and there is a tiny gap between the pin and die head, probobly 1/32 or so. I did hammer the pin in instead of using a press. I am trying to find another die to compare the two. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the input.

Comment

You might need to set the back side of the die head on a support with a hole in it, if I am not mistaken the pin will be just a little proud of the housing.

G3

Comment

Working...
                      X