Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Options for polybutylene fire sprinkler systems.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Options for polybutylene fire sprinkler systems.

Hi, folks

I'm in Scottsdale, AZ where fire sprinklers have been mandatory in residential construction since 1986, many of these systems were polybutylene, I know poly has been recalled on plumbing systems, but was not recalled for fire sprinkler systems. Heres my dilemma, when additions or alterations require the fire system to be modified, what is the recommended connection? We have been using sharkbite fittings to transition to FIP threads and then transition to CPVC. Would this be what you would do?

Thanks, Rob

Re: Options for polybutylene fire sprinkler systems.

Have never delt with the poly for fire sprinklers so would not know what to tell you how to transition from it to cpvc. Only question I would have is, are the shark bite fittings UL or FM rated for fire sprinkler service and what are they pressure rated for. I would not think that they were listed. I know this does not help you in this situation.

G3

Comment

So you guys are probably installing the other plastic CPVC.
      MIP's on the plastic with a brass coupling between.You know what,scratch that,steel coupling.
      How long is a poly fitting going to last after you touch it.I got a family member with a motor home that's blowing i fitting everytime he gets in the thing.

Comment

For some reason poly fire sprinkler systems don't seem to have problems like domestic water systems, many believe it has something to do with chlorine, sprinkler systems rarely flow ,so, no fresh chlorine like domestic systems. Any connections have to be potable because of direct connection to domestic system "no backflow preventer" just a check valve. I have never been called to fix a poly fire system in 20 years. I don't think I could find any listed way of connecting to poly, short of an original crimp type fitting. I guess it would be up to the local jurisdiction. All of our residential systems are tested @ 175 lbs for 24 hours.

Comment

We have to hydro at 200 psi for two hours here. Kind of scarey sometimes on the cpvc but so far so good (knocking on wood).

G3

Comment

i'm not sure sharkbites are rated for poly, anyone recall?

many plumbing suppliers will sell transition fittings for polybutylene pex X poly or poly X MIP
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
              i'm not sure sharkbites are rated for poly, anyone recall?

many plumbing suppliers will sell transition fittings for polybutylene pex X poly or poly X MIP

Sharkbites are not rated for PB so a failure and you are on your own

Only transition fitting that I know of is the PEX x PB crimp fitting.
              (special fitting that comes with a copper PB crimp ring and a black hardened copper pex ring).

Bill

Comment

Working...
              X