X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to figure BTUs

if i only have psi i am getting off a line can i figure how many btus. example commercial gas meter is at 25 psi can i figure max BTUs it can give me

Re: how to figure BTUs

Which pipe size?
    Which pressure

Comment

I doubt that gas meter puts out 25 psi but if it does you probably have no business going near it.

The meter should have a maximum BTU rating stamped on it.

Comment

the commercial gas meters i've dealt with even when "high pressure" were either 2 psi or 5 psi depending on the the application. if it's 25 psi i'm going to agree with Plumberscrack, and say to stay away from it.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

ok so i need to take a pic but back on subject say it was 5 psi 1 1/2 pipe is there a way to figure btu's

Comment

Well let's take a guess here.

A medium pressure gas line is pressurized at 2.5psi.
            So my chart shows an 1.5" line at 2.5 psi at 50' can supply 5,642 Cubic Feet per Hour which multiplied by 1,100 would give you

6,206,200 BTU's

So double that for you 5# pressure and it looks like you got...

About 12,000,000.

Comment

look at the meter . 1/2 psi . how big building?

Comment

sounds like you should get your gas supplier involved and they can probably give you the info your looking for,

meters in our area are the property of the company and they usually frown up on any one, but them messing with them, If the service will not meet the needs of the building/s they serve, in our area the company will come out and change out the necessary equipment to meet that need.
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                X