Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe Freeze Kits

Ok guys, I need opinions, whuich I know a lot of you have here

I need to buy a freeze kit, There are 2 in mind, Ridgid, which is refer type and then there is Generals, which is CO'2, which they claim freezes the pipe faster up to 2".

Which is better or worse..... Pro's cons, Generals looks like it will store on
    the truck easy, As long as there is a short CO'2 tank, also what happens if I run out of CO'2 in the middle of the job..... but what if the refer breaks in the Ridgid.....so lets hear it.....

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/SF2500-Pipe-Freezer

General

http://www.drainbrain.com/specialties/coldshot.html

Thank you in advance....
    sigpic

Robert

Re: Pipe Freeze Kits

We'll see what Rick sez!

Comment

Depending on the job the General kit is good but you really need 2 people to use it to change the tank if the job is long. So Robert do you have a guy to sit there and monitor the tank? Or if it is just you then the Ridgid wins as it sits there working till you turn it off.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

i own plenty of the bag type kits with co2 and 3 of the ridgid super freeze.

the original sf2000 and 2 of the newer superfreeze 2500

the co2 is a colder process, but also a more involved process. you need to transport heavy co2 tanks and then if you're in a confined area, you need to worry about lack of oxygen as the co2 will displace the oxygen.

i always go for the ridgid unit first, unless it's above 2.5'' copper on the 2500.

the bags are a much cheaper investment, but the ridgid system is an easier to use unit. no tanks to carry and no worries about running out of gas.

the 2000 unit i believe is no longer made. the 2500 is its bigger brother.

freezing pipe is not something you want to guess at. you better know when it's frozen and when it's flowing
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          i own plenty of the bag type kits with co2 and 3 of the ridgid super freeze.

the original sf2000 and 2 of the newer superfreeze 2500

the co2 is a colder process, but also a more involved process. you need to transport heavy co2 tanks and then if you're in a confined area, you need to worry about lack of oxygen as the co2 will displace the oxygen.

i always go for the ridgid unit first, unless it's above 2.5'' copper on the 2500.

the bags are a much cheaper investment, but the ridgid system is an easier to use unit. no tanks to carry and no worries about running out of gas.

the 2000 unit i believe is no longer made. the 2500 is its bigger brother.

freezing pipe is not something you want to guess at. you better know when it's frozen and when it's flowing

Rick call this a Dumb question if you would like but what would you need to freeze a pipe for? I have just never run into this and am curious? Thanks

Comment

you freeze a line if you cant get a shut off and there is still water in line

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonG View Post
              Rick call this a Dumb question if you would like but what would you need to freeze a pipe for? I have just never run into this and am curious? Thanks
              When you need to install a valve or isolate a leak etc and you cannot shut down the building.

In this case I am replacing a water fountain and changing an isolation valve out and cannot shut the building down due to heavy commercial use.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Thats Awesome!!! Thanks guys.....

Comment

In a pinch a fire extinguisher works well

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                    yes it will as it's liquid co2/ dry ice.

you could also go buy some dry ice and wrap it around the pipe with a towel. much cheaper investment than all the specialized equipment.

small pipe is simple. large pipe is difficult. you also need cooperation with the downstream users.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                      A 20LB LPG bottle turned up side down works even better

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                        A 20LB LPG bottle turned up side down works even better

Tony
                        That's how my mates cool there beers down.

Simon

Comment

Old timer I know, tank driver in korean war, used to cool beer with the tanks fire extinguisher.

One day the tank caught fire.............................

(true story)

Comment

but at least they had cold beer for the weiner roast.

G3

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              you could also go buy some dry ice and wrap it around the pipe with a towel.
                              I've never heard about wrapping it in a towel. How long does that take to freeze? There is an article on this dry ice website that says to make an insulated box with dry ice in it... and that takes 10 minutes to freeze up. That is interesting, because a towel would be quite a bit easier! thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X