X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tankless gas issue

had a new customer call about a gas leak on a tankless they had installed 2 years ago. gas co. found the leak on the stainless flex connector.

i go there and see a few serious problems.

noritz actually recommended this company to the owner for his install

they had installed a 5' long flex for the gas.

turns out they used tract pipe for this and stripped off all the yellow casing, exposing the raw csst to a drop of flux causing the pin hole leak

this is a 199,000 btu heater that replaced the 75 gal. 75,000 btu heater. of course the existing 1/2'' gas stub out is still connected to the new 1/2'' x 3/4'' 90

so, i removed the csst gas line, threaded a new gas line and installed an approved 3/4'' x 3' coated gas flex. couldn't do anything about the 1/2'' except note it to the owner and on the invoice.

like i've stated in the past, 90% of the tankless i see are not installed properly.

rick.

5' uncoated csst original installation.

pin hole at blue mark.

original undersized 1/2'' gas stub into 3/4'' 90 feeding the tankless.

199,000 btu's replaced the original 75,000 gas heater.

replaced the csst with an approved rated connector and a section of 3/4'' gal.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 11-13-2009, 01:52 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Tankless gas issue

Looks like the units I run into installed by recommended top of the list installer.

wookie

Comment

I guess we can assume there was no inspection on the original install.

Comment

they had a 2 year remodel at their house. they added a basement and that was inspected. the heater i understand was installed after the fact. i think they have only been in the house for the last 6 months.

large house and the original return line is capped off. i can't picture them waiting for hot water. it's an elderly couple.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by wookie View Post
          Looks like the units I run into installed by recommended top of the list installer.

wookie
          good possibility it is. they were out of anaheim and the job was in bel air. 45 miles away.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            good possibility it is. they were out of anaheim and the job was in bel air. 45 miles away.

rick.
            Its the main reason I stopped installing that brand. They don't care how they get installed.

wookie

Comment

out of curiosity; why galvanized pipe? here we can get away with a nipple or something like that, but the inspectors want regular Black iron. Supposedly the concern is that the galvanized coating could flake and clog the orifice.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                out of curiosity; why galvanized pipe? here we can get away with a nipple or something like that, but the inspectors want regular Black iron. Supposedly the concern is that the galvanized coating could flake and clog the orifice.
                you must have some bad gas

i tend to use galvanized whenever possible as it doesn't rust like black steel does.

years ago we had a 544 unit apartment building and couldn't get black in the quantities we needed. so the entire job was gal. i'm sure they must appreciate it as it's only 2 blocks from the ocean. all the piping is exposed in the garage.

we don't use drip legs and we can use gal or black.

we have good gas

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                  Your code won't allow it either because it hasn't been updated since you're gas company cleaned out the sulphur.
                  Or,your gas company hasn't cleaned out the sulphur.

Comment

My wife agrees, I do have bad gas.

anyway thanks for the reply, we end up using Black iron for everything, and if it's exposed to the elements it gets painted, which is one of my least favorite tasks.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I don't believe they've cleaned out the sulpher. I've seen what our gas does to the handyman installed roll copper water heater connection. "seriously you had a flare tool, but didn't have a gas whip?"

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      Your code won't allow it either because it hasn't been updated since you're gas company cleaned out the sulpher.
                      Or,your gas company hasn't cleaned out the sulpher.

Comment

Only time I use black iron is if galv. is still in use as water supply. Don't want diy homeowner getting into trouble down the road. Been awhile that its been an issue tho.

wookie

Comment

Re: Tankless gas issue BUT HE HAD A LICENSE!

1/2" Gas feed, Csst with coating removed, No permit! Oh wait, He is a licensed plumber,
                          Thank God He wasn't a General Contractor ! Any call to the plumbing Insp.?
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

No galvanized allowed up here either, strictly black iron or flex pipe by code.

Comment

Re: Tankless gas issue BUT HE HAD A LICENSE!

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                              1/2" Gas feed, Csst with coating removed, No permit! Oh wait, He is a licensed plumber,
                              Thank God He wasn't a General Contractor ! Any call to the plumbing Insp.?
                              What?
                              And be ostrasized as a trouble maker.
                              And how long could a guy stay in business if
                              we were to rat every project we saw illegal.
                              Our customers would easily replace the plumber,
                              they don't want to here of it

Comment

Working...
                              X