Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pvc cutter

look at what i have in my hands

it's a milwaukee 12 volt pvc cutter 2'' capacity.

this is about as close as i will be to owning 1

personally cutting pvc is not a difficult task. maybe if i did alot of sprinkler or pool work, i might buy 1, but i don't see a need to spend $200 on a pvc cutter.

rick.

pvc cutter with demo plastic clear guard installed.

don't waste your money.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 11-17-2009, 01:19 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: pvc cutter

I bet if it said Ridgid on it you would own one *grins* I could use one for cutting the pvc in tight chases and such. But other than that I do not need one. Yet.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

ron, you know what we looked at the roundup

i said it was a waste of money.

same thing here.

rick
      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 11-17-2009, 01:20 AM.
      phoebe it is

Comment

True. I guess like you said for pool installers and such its a useful tool to save some time. As a service plumber It only can help to gut the pipe with ease and straight in them tight spaces. But for 200 bucks I rather spend the extra few minutes with a reciprocating saw that I already own.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        ron, you know what we looked at the roundup

i said it was a waste of money.

same thing here.

rick
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Rick, will it cut ABS?

Comment

not according to the website. it only refers to pvc and pex. nothing mentioned abs

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...ordless+System

rick.

i pulled up the owners manual and found the specs. page 5 shows 2'' abs pipe.

pretty poor advertising when you have to look at the owners manual to see if it will work.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/CMS/Dia...-14-2475d2.pdf
            Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 11-17-2009, 09:49 AM.
            phoebe it is

Comment

They put that demo guard on just for you Rick... remember PHC Long Beach 3 years ago

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlX8lgSk6Jo

I've owned the ratcheting type of cutters back in the day, thought it was great but I don't live in year round warm climate. That has a HUGE determining factor when it comes to PVC pipe when you cut it.

I've had both SCH40 and tubular PVC explode when cutting. If it is hot out, warm weather? Cuts like a hot knife through butter like the video is showing.

They'll sell a ton of those to new construction plumbers. Looks about the fastest way to cut plastic, even small pieces for hub to hub close tolerance pieces.
                Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 11-17-2009, 11:48 AM.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                  They put that demo guard on just for you Rick... remember PHC Long Beach 3 years ago

josh, i did that to mark my territory and i did bleed ridgid red

what's funny is their copper cutter at h.d. has a demo plastic guard on it too

what's next, the led flashlight with a protective welding hood

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, that PVC cutter is an awesome tool. I have used mine for several weeks now, and it really saves time and wear and tear on the hands.

I can see for the type of work that you do that it would be almost useless, just like a ProPress tool would probably gather dust on my truck.

I would highly recommend the tool to anyone that has to deal with PVC water lines on an almost daily basis.

It also cuts ABS pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlX8lgSk6Jo

I've owned the ratcheting type of cutters back in the day, thought it was great but I don't live in year round warm climate. That has a HUGE determining factor when it comes to PVC pipe when you cut it.

I've had both SCH40 and tubular PVC explode when cutting. If it is hot out, warm weather? Cuts like a hot knife through butter like the video is showing.

They'll sell a ton of those to new construction plumbers. Looks about the fastest way to cut plastic, even small pieces for hub to hub close tolerance pieces.

Put a man on a chop/mitre saw and call out measurements like your life depends on it.

J.C.

Comment

If it was just a little larger on the capictiy, I would love it. I just had a fight with my Ridgit ratchet cutter demoing old 2.5" chlorine lines that tended to shatter rather than cut. Chlorine+skin=bad.

Comment

whats funny is the managers in ricks area know to install guards on all tools
                          just left hd and no guards in ohio--must figure with ridge around the corner the ohio plumbers know what they are doing

Comment

Absolutely this. the pipes get cut as fast as the helper can run the chop saw.

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            [/B]

Put a man on a chop/mitre saw and call out measurements like your life depends on it.

J.C.
                            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

another option is dewalt's cordless angle grinder with a cutting blade.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X