Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stop me from buying Millwaukee!

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    actually it's much faster than that, but i do stop for break and lunch.

typically it was 1 floor at a time and shutting a new building and draining to a lower floor was nothing more than a ball valve and an open hose bibb.

of course i perterred to get in before the cabinets. most cabinets didn't have a back, so this was not an issue. an estucion turned backwards cleaned the bullet in a mater of a couple seconds and my ratcheting 15/16'' angle stop wrench literally took seconds to tighten. 1.2 minutes is slow.

15 seconds is more like it when you're on a roll. it's been years since i've done production work, but i'm sure i can get a hot and cold lav and toilet angle stop done in under a minute.

i guess you don't remember my 66 seconds to cut, ream, and thread, and screw 1'' steel pipe by hand

rick.
    Nah, I only pay attention to what's interesting to me.

J.C.

Comment

i guess you don't remember my 66 seconds to cut, ream, and thread, and screw 1'' steel pipe by hand

rick.
      notice you didn't mention oil. anyway, so when are we doing the milwaukee cutter vs. rick? i'm all for it. btw, so you use a escutcheon plate to clean the paint off stub outs? is that right?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        notice you didn't mention oil. anyway, so when are we doing the milwaukee cutter vs. rick? i'm all for it. btw, so you use a escutcheon plate to clean the paint off stub outs? is that right?
        I was taught to sand it bright. Right? Wrong?

(Yes, even on compression stops.)

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          ben, you will be embarrassed after the halfway point.

you might want to consult with adam before you end up buying me 3 ice cream cones.

have you forgotten i own the miwaukee cutter

is 119 cuts enough for you? 3/4'' ok? m or l copper?

are you sure you can grip the pipe with your shoulder?

ben trust me, unless my #15 cutter gets stolen during the competition, you'll be smoked liked a cheap cigar

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

actually it's much faster than that, but i do stop for break and lunch.

typically it was 1 floor at a time and shutting a new building and draining to a lower floor was nothing more than a ball valve and an open hose bibb.

of course i perterred to get in before the cabinets. most cabinets didn't have a back, so this was not an issue. an estucion turned backwards cleaned the bullet in a mater of a couple seconds and my ratcheting 15/16'' angle stop wrench literally took seconds to tighten. 1.2 minutes is slow.

15 seconds is more like it when you're on a roll. it's been years since i've done production work, but i'm sure i can get a hot and cold lav and toilet angle stop done in under a minute.

screw 1'' steel pipe by handi guess you don't remember my 66 seconds to cut, ream, and thread, and

rick.
            That was last year....when you were alot younger.
            The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              I was taught to sand it bright. Right? Wrong?

(Yes, even on compression stops.)

J.C.
              remember that this is new copper and when they texture and paint, the estucion removes the paint and texture good enough to allow for the nut and ferrule.

in the tens of thousands of stops i've done, i can't remember a leak caused by paint. the biggest challenge was a bullet stubbed out short and i had to cut with a tiny tim and use a split estucion to trim.

of course a cabinet that got installed prior to my stops would be an issue if they didn't fall into the open cabinet, but rather a divider or drawers.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

They spray here. And the paint they put on will NOT come off with putting on the escutcheon. Even twisting back and forth. Have to sand it.

Especially the toilet supply. No paint allowed on any copper. My rule.

J.C.

Comment

ben, you will be embarrassed after the halfway point.

you might want to consult with adam before you end up buying me 3 ice cream cones.

have you forgotten i own the miwaukee cutter

is 119 cuts enough for you? 3/4'' ok? m or l copper?

are you sure you can grip the pipe with your shoulder?

ben trust me, unless my #15 cutter gets stolen during the competition, you'll be smoked liked a cheap cigar

rick.
                  haven't you read my posts and threads? i have no pride. don't talk about it, let's do this. forget about 119 cuts, lets do a real challenge and do 240 cuts and call it a day . i think type l is good enough. remember the goal is to cut copper pipe the same way you do in the field. got a picture of this mythical 15 cutter?
                  Last edited by gear junkie; 11-22-2009, 09:16 PM.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

paint sticks to stubouts in va beach too. haven't tried cali paint yet.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

my money is on ben , i think ricks hand will explode at about 60 cuts!!!!
                      ben-make sure the batt. is charged!, 5 icream cones and a dq nanner split to the winner, plumber rick in this corner and gear junkie in this corner o k
                      lets git it on !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by leak1 View Post
                        my money is on ben , i think ricks hand will explode at about 60 cuts!!!!
                        ben-make sure the batt. is charged!, 5 icream cones and a dq nanner split to the winner, plumber rick in this corner and gear junkie in this corner o k
                        lets git it on !!!!
                        so when i get to ohio again, the next round of ice cream will be on you too

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          They spray here. And the paint they put on will NOT come off with putting on the escutcheon. Even twisting back and forth. Have to sand it.

Especially the toilet supply. No paint allowed on any copper. My rule.

J.C.
                          A little trick.

I carried a 4" piece of unreamed type "L".
                          Srapes the hardest enamel.The harder the paint the better.

If you or your employees leave the drop of solder under the cap don't bother.Use a piece of 1" and start wiping your fittings off on the next one.

Installing angle stops on an open wall Rick?
                          No cabinets?
                          Union jobs,gotta luv em.

Tens of thousands of angle stops?
                          I call bullsh!t

Comment

so when i get to ohio again, the next round of ice cream will be on you too

rick.
                            you're talking a whole lot but i'm not hearing a time and place. scared? no worries, even when lose, i'm sure you'll still find a way to come out ahead.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                              A little trick.

I carried a 4" piece of unreamed type "L".
                              Srapes the hardest enamel.The harder the paint the better.

If you or your employees leave the drop of solder under the cap don't bother.Use a piece of 1" and start wiping your fittings off on the next one.

Installing angle stops on an open wall Rick?
                              No cabinets?
                              Union jobs,gotta luv em.

nope, just good planning and scheduling.

Tens of thousands of angle stops?
                              I call bullsh!t
                              15 years of new construction plumbing and i was the finish foreman.

jobs ranged from 10 units to 1685 unit developments.

k.s. was 2 plus ice maker. laundry = 2. lavs were 2 each, toilets 1, bar sink 2.

i had several 5 gallon buckets of cone washers left over when i got out of new construction.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

15 years of new construction plumbing and i was the finish foreman.

jobs ranged from 10 units to 1685 unit developments.

k.s. was 2 plus ice maker. laundry = 2. lavs were 2 each, toilets 1, bar sink 2.

i had several 5 gallon buckets of cone washers left over when i got out of new construction.

rick.
                                I do not dare to dream this high.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X