Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaking Pressed Fittings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Leaking Pressed Fittings

    Mark I`m now going for my masters
    I was doing my studies tonight. Hope to have time at the first of the year.
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Leaking Pressed Fittings

      The chick in the middle is driving me crazy.

      J.C.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Leaking Pressed Fittings

        Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
        Mark I`m now going for my masters
        I was doing my studies tonight. Hope to have time at the first of the year.
        Good job, does your buddy you work with sign for your hours? I don't really remember how Kansas works but I was thinking it is local plumbing boards as opposed to State Boards?

        Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

        I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Leaking Pressed Fittings

          They dont worry about me as I have been in plumbing here in town since the mid 80`s. They know I have more then enough time. I have cards from inspectors that haven't worked in this town since the early 90`s. I have over 280 class room hours so it`s not really a problem. I just have to buy a new card every year and work under my master plumber till I have on own master card. I do have a sewer contractor License, a septic linese and now I`m going for my masters.
          Mark it`s all good here, I know what I`m talking about as I have been plumbing since the early 80`s I`m not just some new hack. I have even worked for a union shop.

          I really dont know what your looking for Mark?

          Think about it Mark, How would I know that distorting pipe or fitting will wash out the pipe or fittings? I`ve been around the block a few times
          It`s just like to much flux will eat the pipe from the outside in
          Dont mix iron or galv or cast with cooper or you will have electrolysis(<---spelling?) eating up your plumbing.
          Have I passed yet?
          Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 12-18-2009, 10:05 PM.
          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Leaking Pressed Fittings

            "Dont mix iron or galv or cast with cooper or you will have electrolysis(<---spelling?) eating up your plumbing."

            I think the term you are looking for there is "Galvanic Corrosion"

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Leaking Pressed Fittings

              One thing on the propress I worry about is the oring failing because of chlorine in the water. I mean I see the effects of chlorine on toilet flappers and tank to bowl washers over time and I know the orings are special but it worries me just the same. I mean like in 10 years are my fittings going to fail?
              Seattle Drain Service

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Leaking Pressed Fittings

                Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                They dont worry about me as I have been in plumbing here in town since the mid 80`s. They know I have more then enough time. I have cards from inspectors that haven't worked in this town since the early 90`s. I have over 280 class room hours so it`s not really a problem. I just have to buy a new card every year and work under my master plumber till I have on own master card. I do have a sewer contractor License, a septic linese and now I`m going for my masters.
                Mark it`s all good here, I know what I`m talking about as I have been plumbing since the early 80`s I`m not just some new hack. I have even worked for a union shop.

                I really dont know what your looking for Mark?

                Think about it Mark, How would I know that distorting pipe or fitting will wash out the pipe or fittings? I`ve been around the block a few times
                It`s just like to much flux will eat the pipe from the outside in
                Dont mix iron or galv or cast with cooper or you will have electrolysis(<---spelling?) eating up your plumbing.
                Have I passed yet?
                I wasn't really looking for anything. I recall your posts when you were asking about plumbing math because you were studying for your license and had not been in the trades for a while. I thought you had told us you needed a local license for evey jusrisdiction as oppose to how they do it out West where you get a license for the State then buy Business license for the local stuff. It seems like a lot of extra fees and licensing to me.

                Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Leaking Pressed Fittings

                  Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                  "Dont mix iron or galv or cast with cooper or you will have electrolysis(<---spelling?) eating up your plumbing."

                  I think the term you are looking for there is "Galvanic Corrosion"
                  We are getting way off topic but you are correct. Electrolytic corrosion is caused by stray DC current but seems to be blamed for everything. With Galvanic Corrosion the galvanize ends up being sacrificial to the copper and starts to corrode. I spent most of yesterday with a Metallurgist looking at pipe samples at 130 magnification. The scanning electron microscope actually gives you the chemical makeup and percentages of the pipe and corrosion. Really neat stuff.

                  Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                  I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Leaking Pressed Fittings

                    That would be cool to study Mark.

                    Yea they hit us for every fee they can think of where I live. Even a master plumber has to have a septic License to do septic work. then you have to have another one to be a pumper It`s all about the money $$$$
                    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Leaking Pressed Fittings

                      hey there , i have had just 3 fittings leak on me and all were due to cheaply made mexican copper. the brand of copper was cambridge usa but made in mexico. so i sent the leakers with my viega rep and he had them tested and here are the results

                      Evaluation Report:
                      The samples were inspected as received. They were numbered 1, 2, & 3 for identification purposes. On samples 1 & 2 there is a score mark on the copper tubing that runs into and under the fitting. On sample 3 there is a line of porous pitting on the copper tubing. All samples were then pressure tested and leaks were verified on sample 1 & 2. Sample 3 did not leak during the pressure testing. Samples 1 & 2 were then cut apart to inspect the interior of the leaking connections. The score mark was verified and was found to run under the sealing element. This score mark would not allow the sealing element to seal and thus created the leak. The wall thickness of the copper tubing on sample 3 was measured and found to be below the minimum allowed for both type "L & K" copper tubing. It was also found to be below the minimum allowed for type "M" copper tubing. This would have occurred during the manufacture process of the tubing and would also be the cause for the line of pitting on the surface of the tubing. No defects were found on the Viega fittings. Due to the score marks on samples 1 & 2 and the pitting on sample # along with the below minimum allowed wall thickness of the tubing no credit will be issued.


                      thanks

                      Larry
                      Last edited by BCPLUMBER; 12-19-2009, 12:11 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Leaking Pressed Fittings

                        Originally posted by BCPLUMBER View Post
                        hey there , i have had just 3 fittings leak on me and all were due to cheaply made mexican copper. the brand of copper was cambridge usa but made in mexico. so i sent the leakers with my viega rep and he had them tested and here are the results

                        Evaluation Report:
                        The samples were inspected as received. They were numbered 1, 2, & 3 for identification purposes. On samples 1 & 2 there is a score mark on the copper tubing that runs into and under the fitting. On sample 3 there is a line of porous pitting on the copper tubing. All samples were then pressure tested and leaks were verified on sample 1 & 2. Sample 3 did not leak during the pressure testing. Samples 1 & 2 were then cut apart to inspect the interior of the leaking connections. The score mark was verified and was found to run under the sealing element. This score mark would not allow the sealing element to seal and thus created the leak. The wall thickness of the copper tubing on sample 3 was measured and found to be below the minimum allowed for both type "L & K" copper tubing. It was also found to be below the minimum allowed for type "M" copper tubing. This would have occurred during the manufacture process of the tubing and would also be the cause for the line of pitting on the surface of the tubing. No defects were found on the Viega fittings. Due to the score marks on samples 1 & 2 and the pitting on sample # along with the below minimum allowed wall thickness of the tubing no credit will be issued.


                        thanks

                        Larry
                        Mark, remember awhile back when some of us stated we thought the wall thickness/weight was not there on copper? I even contacted ASTM and some others to get their take on it and did not receive 1 contact as a result.

                        And I doubt you will EVER see an investigation with the conclusion that Viega is at fault as long as Viega is doing the investigation. WTH?!?!

                        Should be third party tested without any bias.

                        I bet you I can solder that copper with no leaks....

                        J.C.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Leaking Pressed Fittings

                          I think this was the thread about some thinking copper felt lighter.

                          http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...Copper+Lighter

                          J.C.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Leaking Pressed Fittings

                            I only use viega fittings and type L copper. I never press on pitted copper, and if the copper pipe has been installed for awhile or looks dirty, I always clean it.

                            Out of all the press fittings I have done, I had 1 leak. I cut it out, along with a few others.. ( the one thing that sucks about pressing) and gave it to the viega rep, after a few weeks, he came back and said that there was a million in one chance I would ever get that fitting.

                            It appears, when they were refilling the rubber machine that spits out the orings, there was an air bubble in there and it missed 3 seperate inspections.

                            I still have not recieved my replacement fittings or a credit....
                            sigpic

                            Robert

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Leaking Pressed Fittings

                              I've been using the Propress for quite some time now, knock on wood I've never had a leak. Man, it's been so long I might have forgotten how to solder!

                              I use the Propress for everything, I also use the Viega Pure Flow pex along with it as I've mentioned before. They make fittings that combine the two, the only company that does. Uponor doesn't have it.

                              I never thought I would be using this stuff, started plumbing in the late 80's.
                              But now that I have I have no problem with it and I'll never go back.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Leaking Pressed Fittings

                                Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                                I've been using the Propress for quite some time now, knock on wood I've never had a leak. Man, it's been so long I might have forgotten how to solder!

                                I use the Propress for everything, I also use the Viega Pure Flow pex along with it as I've mentioned before. They make fittings that combine the two, the only company that does. Uponor doesn't have it.

                                I never thought I would be using this stuff, started plumbing in the late 80's.
                                But now that I have I have no problem with it and I'll never go back.
                                For some reason the viega pex to copper adapters are harder to come by now. Grainger closed out some I bought them then pexsupply stopped having them. I don't know if it is because of the new viega fittings with the band already on them or what but I prefer the old fittings.
                                Seattle Drain Service

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X