X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking Pressed Fittings

I have been using my Ridgid propress for about a year now and probably have less than 3000 uses on the same 100B tool. I own a water softener company so some jobs can literally only have 4 crimps per job. The problem I am having has been that on the last 4 jobs, I have had only some fittings leaking after pressing. Not all of them. Just some which is weird. Why some and not all? I am starting to think it actually may be the 1" copper pipe but I am not certain. The leaks are very very slow leaks but obviously need to be cut out and replaced. A few questions. Can I re-press the same fittings and will it help or hurt? Anyone experience this same problem and could it be the copper? Tool? Fittings? This has become very frustrating as well as costly on some larger jobs. I really have not had any problems with 3/4". Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome as soon as possible. This is my first post here. Thanks in advance, Tom
    Last edited by Tom1227; 12-18-2009, 08:59 PM.

Re: Leaking Pressed Fittings

Could be the copper. The wall thickness or seam.

What kind of fittings do you use?

J.C.

Comment

I always use viega fittings and type L copper
      Last edited by Tom1227; 12-18-2009, 08:50 PM.

Comment

I am NOT a heavy press user at all. Not even close to as much as you are. I do recall someone having an issue with copper pipe involving the "seam" for some reason. It was posted on this forum I think in 2007.

I also understand that a fitting may be repressed. Whether it always improves the seal I don't know. No experience.

Others with more experience may post later.

J.C.

Comment

I was wrong. It was 2006. Here's a link to the thread.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ProPress+Leaks

Good Luck.

J.C.

Comment

That's funny i just found it before you posted the link. I feel much better that it is very likely the copper pipe. Looks like it very well is the seam. I am going to look closer at that batch of copper and may return what I have from that batch. I will be asking the supplier if they switched recently. I always buy from the same place and never had a problem. Thanks for all your fast help JC. If anyone else has more input I welcome it. Tom

Comment

I had a job where I pressed about 30 fittings of 1" copper, out of them 30 I had 3 joints leak. Two of them we repressed and problem solved. One was a pressing mistake on my part, was a tight quarters and I was not paying 100% attention and the fitting slipped of the pipe by an 1/8 of an inch if that much, but clearly moved away from the marked line I made. So that one had to be cut out and replaced.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

could also be a dirty jaw since it's only 1''.

nothing wrong with repressing a fitting. although it's not necessary if the tool, jaws, fittings and pipe are good.

have you tried out of curiosity another brand of fittings, or pipe?

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Not trying to pick anything but, what happened to real plumbing where we sweated copper pipe fittings? I see these propress jobs and just don't like how they distort the pipe and fittings. I know from doing many repairs that the distorted pipe and fittings will wash out in time. I was always trained to do clean and straight work but this propress system just looks like crap to me. How long will it take to wash out? My bet is not long. Hey I didn't like shark bites either but I am now using em ...lol I guess you either go with the flow or you get left in the dust right? ...lol
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                    Not trying to pick anything but, what happened to real plumbing where we sweated copper pipe fittings? I see these propress jobs and just don't like how they distort the pipe and fittings. I know from doing many repairs that the distorted pipe and fittings will wash out in time. I was always trained to do clean and straight work but this propress system just looks like crap to me. How long will it take to wash out? My bet is not long. Hey I didn't like shark bites either but I am now using em ...lol I guess you either go with the flow or you get left in the dust right? ...lol
                    In this case I could not shut the water down to run a 1" hot water line. What I did was cut the 2" line quickly pressed in an 2" x 1" tee and a 1" ball valve. Was able to have the water back in in less than 10 minutes and did not have to drain down the system. I just kept going with the press tool since I had it on the job. Other wise I would of soldered it from the ball valve on.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Unfortunately in some terms, it is here to stay and will only grow. NOT because it is better in any way. But because it is faster and there is less training involved. That is the only reason.

Just wait and see. If their Gas press system shows stability more and more, no more threaders OR Tractpipe. Gone.

Many things like that have happened.

J.C.

Comment

Rick,

I would love to try Nibco fittings but cannot find them in my area. I am interested in finding out cost on them as well. I really don't think it is the viega fitting. I am pretty sure it is the pipe and will be using different mfg. on the next 1" job. I am also cleaning all my jaws too just to be sure.

As for All Clear Sewer, no big deal if you don't like propress (although this is probably a pipe problem not a propress fitting problem). I don't like Sharkbite but I am looking assistance with this subject. I am not really looking for an opinion different pipe joining processes at this time. Thanks and good luck to you. Tom
                        Last edited by Tom1227; 12-18-2009, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                          In this case I could not shut the water down to run a 1" hot water line. What I did was cut the 2" line quickly pressed in an 2" x 1" tee and a 1" ball valve. Was able to have the water back in in less than 10 minutes and did not have to drain down the system. I just kept going with the press tool since I had it on the job. Other wise I would of soldered it from the ball valve on.
                          Oh I hear ya, I`ve had jobs where it would have been nice to have a propress. Not saying I`ll never use one either but I know in my heart that it`s gonna wash out the pipe and fittings over time do to the distorting.

I have replaced a few failed shark bites and a few crimped pex fittings. I have always said from day one that they would fail and now I`m seeing it

My problem is I keep forgetting nothing is forever...rothflamo
                          Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 12-18-2009, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom1227 View Post
                            Rick,

As for All Clear Sewer, no big deal if you don't like propress. I don't like Sharkbite but I am looking assistance with this subject. I am not really looking for an opinion different pipe joining processes at this time. Thanks and good luck to you. Tom
                            well, excuse me

Comment

I keep seeing you talk about repairs. Did you finally get a Journeyman's Card?

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X