X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will The "pro's" at Home Depo Lay Off

So I go to the depot to get a few things to put a washing machine shutoff valve, and a few shut offs in strategic places at my Mother in-laws house. The guy in the plumbing dept is stalking me, over my shoulder the whole time. I get an, "Excuse me sir, do you do alot of soldering"
    Me," I am a weldor/pipefitter , I have it under control"
    the "pro", You should try these shark bite fittings"
    Me, " no thanks I can solder"
    the "pro", so you don't want to try them"
    Me, "no thanks"
    meanwhile I just want to go and be done with this simple job
    the "pro", "you don't need to be rude"
    Me, "GO AWAY"
    If the supply house was open today I would have gone in a second.

Re: Will The "pro's" at Home Depo Lay Off

At least they talk to you.

I usually go to Lowes, it's closer. The only way you can get any assistance is you are between the ages 18-35, female, attractive, and have a nice rack. Other than that forget it.

Comment

I was in there Tuesday. They asked me if I needed help no less than 6 times. I was trying to avoid them getting out of the store. Their self check out lanes can kiss my butt.
      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I've never had an experience like that at Home Depot but they are definitely more helpful and friendly at HD than Menards. I don't have a Lowes nearby so I don't know how they are. Home Depot stores are always much cleaner and the carts aren't ready to fall apart. I think the prices are pretty similar too. The Home Depot and Menards by me are only a couple blocks apart so I usually go to Home Depot but sometimes end up going to both stores.
        http://www.mywoodworking.net

Comment

I just want to go in, grab my fittings an go. No talking, shooting the bull, just wham bam, in and out. Leave me alone, if I needed help I wouldn't ask you

Comment

around here they ask if they can help you. than when you say what you are looking for they look like a deer in head lights.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
              I just want to go in, grab my fittings an go. No talking, shooting the bull, just wham bam, in and out. Leave me alone, if I needed help I wouldn't ask you

I remember the two HD's in your area, s plymouth and Rockland.

I went to the S plymouth location on occasion, once for a diamond saw rental to cut a basement from S Plymouth, the rental center really came in handy at times back before I owned some of my own stuff.

Any time I ever went to either, for (god forbid) plumbing after hours when supplies (Snow & Jones was the best in Plymouth imo), there was either someone over my shoulder the way it was for you, or they'd avoid you when you had a question and try to pretend they can't hear you when you call out as they'd walk to the other end of the aisle, always one extreme or the other.

My personal favorite, asking where something is, guy doesn't know, then has you follow him to find someone else who might know while you try to tell him "nevermind, it'll take less time for me to find it myself" and he ignores you and you "rudely" walk back to where you were.

Comment

I am very lucky at the HD store in our area. They have hired some older very knowlegable guys that have experience in the area that they look after. When I go in they are in their isle and will say hello and ask if you need help and if you say no thanks they will leave you alone. If you want to BS they are good at that and they also have been very helpfull when I have needed some help finding a special part. I guess each store is differant as I have been in some that have no helpful people and some that act like they are on comission.

Comment

Never had an experience like that where they tried to push a product. My local HDs (there are two nearby) don't have near enough clerks. It's not a problem in plumbing, since all the stuff is there - they either have what I need or they don't. It IS a problem in both lumber (if you need someone to cut the straps on a pallet load) or electrical (if you need wire off the roll). Sundays are like a ghost town in there.

I do like that they will often volunteer to help you load big stuff onto your cart and also get it into your vehicle. As far as knowledge... I don't generally use them for that... with all respect, probably not going to get reliable advice from a $10/hr guy.

Comment

i had the store electrician/golf pro at the lincoln home depot inform me that he was an expert and i was basically something less than him when i came in to swap out a bad breaker last week.after about 5 minutes of listening to him and trying not to explode i finally told him this was my 30th year in the electrical/plummen trades and whipped out my electrical contractors license and asked him where his was? then he shut up but since i was already pissed i drug the store manager into it and let them discuss it as i walked out the door with my replacement breaker.and by the way i stabbed the new breaker in and everything was fine in case the home depot expert ever gets on here!

Comment

Working...
                    X