X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thread problem

We have a very old ridgid 300 (20 yrs.) and recently we started having problems with the threading of our 2" pipe. It cuts 1 1/4" pipe fine, but the same dies, collar, and machine cuts 2" pipe threads very rough. So rough that we can't start coupler when we go to screw it on. What would cause such a difference in these cuts? Is it a mechanical or material problem I wonder. What ever it is it's holding up production. What do you think?

Re: thread problem

1. When threading the 2" are you using a pipe stand for long lengths? and if you are is it at the correct height. Too high or low will cause the pipe to be in a bind sometimes.

2. If it is foreign pipe it could be soft or have soft spots in it (junk pipe).

3. The 2" will need plenty of cutting oil.

4. I would say dull dies but if it is cutting 1 1/4" threads good would tend to rule that out.

My money would be on #1 or #2.

G3

Comment

check and make sure your jaw inserts are there, or in good shape. I pulled up on a job the other day and some of my hands were using my dad's old 300(30+ yrs) One of them made the comment on larger pipe they were having trouble getting the pipe to start. Upon insepection 2 out of 3 of teh jaw inserts were mia. Inserts replaced and machine is good as new.

Comment

i gave up on the thread, basically got one of the gusy off www.servicebids.com.au

were pretty cheap, considering i bidded

Comment

Originally posted by drew_dminion View Post
          i gave up on the thread, basically got one of the gusy off www.servicebids.com.au

were pretty cheap, considering i bidded
          Hey Mark you need to dump this guy
          ________
          MERCURY CAPRI HISTORY
          Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:44 PM.
          Mike

Comment

I flagged him as a spammer when he first posted but nothing happened

Comment

Working...
            X