X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIPE BURSTING water lines

Has anybody done any pipe bursting of water supply lines? I am looking at adding this to our services. Rick talked me out of the big burster for side sewers so now I am looking at hydraulic small bursting systems that can do 1.5" max. Is HDPE pipe the best choice? Can pex be pulled with out damage?
    Thanks!
    Bryce
    Seattle Drain Service

Re: PIPE BURSTING water lines

are you referring about pulling a new line through an old line? or just boring a hole and pulling new pipe?

copper and plastic can be split, i don't think that gal can be split. it tends to pull out. you also need to fish a cable through the old water pipe to do the bursting.

i would think boring a new line would be the way to go.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

The stuff I have been reading about says it can split Galvy and some reports I read talked of pulling a sleeve in to protect the new line. Would be doing it in locations that there really is no room for a new line without removing large retaining walls and other large items.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

here's the deal. in order to eve think about a water line you need to fish an aircraft cable 1/4''- 3/8'' through the old line. meaning it has to be some what clean and no 45's or 90's then either the machine will pull out the old pipe and split it at the frame of the puller, or the wedge that does the pulling and splitting.

copper and poly will typically slice and stay in the dirt. the galvy will usually pull out as the cutting pressure to slice it is usually more than the dirt can hold the pipe in.

the second pipe bursting job i ever did, was a styrene 4'' area drain line approx 100'. things were going good until joey noticed that the styrene pipe started to pull through the pulling block and was 3 to 5 layers thick. the slicer i had on it just pulled it together and didn't slice anything.

not a fun day cutting the styrene out from around the pulling cable.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,
          Can you upsize the line? Say go from 5/8" copper to 3/4" or 1" copper using this method?

Comment

yes you can.

the original pipe/ host pipe is just used as a conduit for your cable to get through. dependin on soil conditions, you can upsize the line without any real issues. the key is being able to slice the old pipe and force the sharp edge out of the way or pull out the entire section.

with sewer lines, you're actually bursting, splitting the pipe into fragments into the soil. the bursting head forces the pieces into the surrounding ground. this makes room for the new pipe. typically hdpe pipe.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, I know you are pretty knowlegable in this area so I am not going to say much. I must admit that I was surprised last year to find that the Water Corporation were actually relining 20mm(3/4") copper tube. It ran under a road and they reckon it was cheaper that replacing. My thoughts, total BS but after all, they are the Water Corporation and we are only Plumbers. Mind you if I was An Engineer I would be higher up the food chain. Might have to change from Master Plumber to ??????????.
              Sorry still thinking........!!!!
              So Rick, have you heard of this because Utility Services say they are the best in th0e business. Google them for a laugh.

By the way Rick I must say yo are an endless resource, thankyou.

Comment

I second the thanks to Rick...

Comment

the relining process you're referring to is an epoxy process. we've spoken about it multiple times.

do a thread search on "ace duraflow" or google ace duraflow.

seems like most don't think it's a good thing.

i've heard good and bad.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                  X