Ridgid 535A automatic jaws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 535A automatic jaws

We have used Ridgid 535 and 1224 pipe threaders for years without any problems. Recently our employer purchased two 535A's for cutting and threading rigid galvanized conduit. The automatic jaws on these new machines look like they could twist a piece of conduit into a pretzel but we are lucky if they even grip the pipe hard enough to thread it. We have had instances when threading 2" conduit at the owners manual recommended speed the jaws just slip on the pipe when engaging the properly adjusted die head. When reaming a piece of conduit the reamer actually pushes the pipe into the jaws before they grip the pipe. When we are done threading the pipe all that is necessary to remove it is to wiggle it a little bit. Has anybody else had this problem and is there a fix?

Re: Ridgid 535A automatic jaws

i'm not sure if the pressure the jaws squeeze are adjustable.

what i would check is the gunk in the jaw teeth and if they are still sharp. just like you would a pipe wrench.

also see if it grips black pipe better than gal pipe. gal pipe is very slick and has a tendency to slip easy if not tight.

steve "morris" is the guy that knows these machines in his sleep. he'll have an answer for you probably before the weekend is over

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Yes, we have checked the teeth to see if they are gucked up but that only happens when they don't grip like they are supposed to. Some of the pipe fitters came over to our shop to thread some carbon steel pipe that wasn't galvanized and they had the same problem. We really don't have this problem with a standard 535 and their teeth are not nearly as sharp as the 535A's.

Comment

jaw replacement on page #17 of the manual. or page #19 on the pdf manual.

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/8154949...achine_Man.pdf

also the 4 jaws are reversable and you could try flipping them to see if they are better.

morris will know for sure.

rick.
        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-20-2010, 12:35 PM.
        phoebe it is

Comment

NOBODY KNOWS HOW TO SHARPEN ANYMORE !
          Buy some hand saw files ,and put Yer A$$ into it !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

These are brand new machines so there is no way they are worn out.

Comment

Originally posted by Captleemo View Post
              These are brand new machines so there is no way they are worn out.
              THAT'S CRAZY ! Bring them back!
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I have dealt with automatic jaws a few times on these machines and I'm not a huge fan myself either, I have had many many problems with them I wish I had some advice other than switch back but I don't

Comment

Working...
                X