X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help!

I'm glad you guys both replied.... I started a few, and decided it wasn't my place.... then

now

I am in a sort of similar place as M3sink, with a far different outlook on things.

I started in the building maintenance business when I was a teenager, moved on to other things for a few years, but still did maintenance part time, then went back to maintenance full-time for about 7 years.

Alot of this time was spent doing plumbing, heating, and drain work. The people I was working for led me to believe that no license was needed, and that it was totally ok. I've since learned that was not the case.

I started my own building maintenance company a few years ago, and over 50% of my work was coming from small plumbing and/or heating contractors who needed a good hand, but couldn't hire a full time guy.

After a crippling loss of tools and materials from a jobsite burglary, I could no longer stand on my own 2 feet. Fortunately a local P&H contractor I had worked with before had an almost full-time job that had just opened up.

I'm only now starting a real apprenticeship, but my wages are quite a bit higher; because I am very proficient at the things I know, but still need training on some other things.

I stumbled across this forum looking for information on something I was trying to read up on, and have stayed. There is literally hundreds of years worth of experience that people are sharing on here regularly. On a few occasions, I have had an answer to someone's question too.

While some people said some things that may not have been "smiles and sunshine" I don't think any of it was uncalled for. People have a right to their opinion, you don't have to like it, or agree with it.

What's wrong with being a sprinkler guy? Nothing at all. It's an honest trade that requires alot more brains than it probably looks like to the common joe. There's nothing wrong with being a drain cleaner, HVAC tech, welder, electrican, dishwasher, floor sweeper or any other job that someone does well for a living.

A "real contractor" does all their fab work off-site and trucks it in? That's great when it works, but if that's all you've done.... You probably have alot more holes in your knowledge than you realize. But, if your goal is to work for another commercial contractor, and gain some more experience, while doin some stuff you're probably pretty good at, best of luck to you sir.

I'm not gonna brag about all the stuff I can do, and there's a chance I could pass the exam if I took it (they changed the law here so none of your pre-apprenticeship time counts for ANYTHING, so I can't).

There is a lot of things to know in order to be a bad, dangerous hack plumber; and alot more to being a good plumber who does good work he or she can be proud of with the customer's and public's best interests at heart. An occupational license does not equate to intelligence, honesty, or proper attitude.

This guy will likely be a hack plumber. Not because he can or can't thread a pipe (though that could come into play at some point). His attitude does not seem to lend itself to being a good tradesman in my opinion.

Thank each and everyone who reads this post for being here. I'm certainly not the only one who appreciates the sharing of knowledge, ideas and stories from those of you who do so.

If you don't like what I have to say, feel free to tell me you don't like it. It may or may not change my mind, but who knows?

-------------------------

Help me support children’s cancer research CLICK HERE!

Comment

what can i say, i tried

hopefully he passes his test and comes back. i think he came here looking for help and didn't know what he was going to get as an answer since threading might be a lost art for plumbing, but wait til he has to pour a lead joint

honestly, if he took the time to read the forum, he would know that the ones he slammed are actually the ones that are the most helpful on the forum. unfortunately he might never realize that unless he comes back and does some reading.

rick,
      phoebe it is

Comment

Yes, I can also pour a lead joint. But WTF has that got to with anything. I came in here looking for help and all you guys wanted to do is give me grief. I now know better. WTF does it matter whether or not I have ever threaded a pipe in 10 years? I want to learn and there was something I didn't know! It's guys like you bunch that give our trade a bad name. In the 10 years I have been in the trade I have helped alot of people coming up through the ranks. I would never act as ignorant as you guys. Just because someone doesn't know as much as you doesn't mean they aren't good at what they do. It's sad really. Thanks again.

Comment

Maybe if you could get that big ol' chip off of your shoulder you could learn something.

Just giving you an answer to a test question does not educate or teach you anything except the easy way out.

I would like to help you out and pass on a little sprinkler doofyness if you really want to learn something.

A link was posted for you to look at and do a little reading on. I am a visual type person and can learn more from pictures than anything else.

I did not mean to offend you in the least (at least in my original post), just does not sound like you are as well rounded in the trade as you think.

Good luck

The doof sprinkler contractor

G3

Comment

If he doesn't pass there is option B) http://www.mcdonalds.com/usa/work/search.html

I have been in the plumbing trade for 10 years but never gotten a license. With the economy slow as it is, the plumbing companies will not hire me without my license. I have gotten all of the code books to study from but there's one area that I am in need of help. Part of the exam is practical knowledge or common knowledge. I am a commercial plumber with ZERO experience as a service plumber. From the sample tests I have seen there are quite a few questions on things like what is the most common tool a plumber uses? or what is the best tool for removing a blockage in a toilet? and how can you tell when a pipe is properly threaded?
            Is there somewhere, other than experience, where I can find this info with regards to common plumbing service?
            Thanks
            For a guy that's been in the business for ten years you kind of have some rookie questions. That is why some of the comments were made. They are not trying to put you down it just seems a little odd. It sounds like you work for a big outfit and that might be why, they just use you for a few specific kind of jobs.
            I think just about every one that has been on here for a while is weary of odd people asking off the wall questions or spammers.
            Last edited by DanLawrence; 03-09-2010, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Read some books from Howard C. Massey.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...umbing&x=0&y=0

Get a codebook related to your state and study it.

http://www.internationalcodes.net/20...-2047-09.shtml

Take a seminar the day before the test. There are many by different companies. Check around.

My understanding is that some of the questions are now being focused towards business knowledge and the seminar should address that.

That should help. Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

I have always just threaded to the end of the die head,
                as the directions on the 12R threader show,
                http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/01D75C4...ader_Instr.pdf

and powered threaders (many of them) have a gage that threads to the end of the die, and kicks the die out),

and looking at pipe threads on nipples there apparently various threads do to size, and threads per inch,

the 12 threads from what I can find is from taper pipe taps,
                http://www.ctemag.com/dynamic.articles.php?id=59
                or
                http://www.cutting-tool-supply.com/T...eadHowDeep.htm
                The basic size, commonly called the 12-thread count, occurs approximately 12 threads from the front of the taper pipe tap.
                if the 3/4" is considered then ever 1/8th, 1/4", 3/8', has never been threaded correct, as there not even near the 3/4" mark,

and as Rick said the most likely answer is the 2.5 turns,

on any site that I have come across the only correct way to check the threads is with a thread ring gage, including the Ridgid manual on the 535A
                http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/8154949...achine_Man.pdf page 12 manual number, 14 pdf number,

http://www.ctemag.com/dynamic.articles.php?id=59

http://www.custommold.com/products/pdf/Pipe_Check.pdf

http://www.iceweb.com.au/Tubings/Gla...ech%20Info.pdf

here is a chart that will give the threads and the normal depth of Normal engagement
                http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pipethreadsizing.html
                Attached Files
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  what can i say, i tried

hopefully he passes his test and comes back. i think he came here looking for help and didn't know what he was going to get as an answer since threading might be a lost art for plumbing, but wait til he has to pour a lead joint

honestly, if he took the time to read the forum, he would know that the ones he slammed are actually the ones that are the most helpful on the forum. unfortunately he might never realize that unless he comes back and does some reading.

rick,
                  Lol, just had to do that for my 1st time. Luckily it was vertical, 1' off the ground. I had to do several of them. Even the foreman who's been in the trade 25+ years had only done em a couple of times . It was a learning experience for the both of us . I've used lead wool before but never poured it from a ladle. It was kind of fun. Makes me feel spoiled with plastic pipe and glue and a pro press.

As for not ever threading pipe, there are those shops. I've worked with guys who are "licensed journeymen" but never ran waste and vent. They were the water guys or the gas line guys on a job or vice versa. I've worked with guys who have only done track homes where everything is cut and fabricated in a shop. Those guys cant do material take offs worth a damn, and cant calculate measurements to save their life, its like they cant think outside the box.

I am glad I learned in a company that was all around, from drain cleaning to custom homes to general service & repair. I think it is VERY IMPORTANT to know all the different parts of the trade. That in my humble opinion makes you a real plumber.
                  Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                  Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Working...
                  X