X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!

I am about to take my journeyman test. I have never threaded a pipe. I need some expert help please.
    One of the sample test questions says that When a pipe is properly threaded: a) it has a thread length equal to the pipe diameter b) it has a thread length of 3/4" long c) it has a min of 12 threads d)a fitting can be turned onto the pipe 2-1/2 complete revolutions by hand.
    That's all it says. Doesn't say kind of pipe or size or anything else. I'm guessing it doesn't matter?

Re: Help!

I can't hardly believe you are going for a journeymans test and have never threaded pipe. Any way here is a link with good info, scroll down to fig. 4.

G3
    Last edited by G3sprinklers; 03-06-2010, 08:28 PM. Reason: removed unwanted link

Comment

a good link for info to get it fitted and done at a cheap price got to www.servicebids.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by M3sinc View Post
        I am about to take my journeyman test. I have never threaded a pipe. I need some expert help please.
        One of the sample test questions says that When a pipe is properly threaded: a) it has a thread length equal to the pipe diameter b) it has a thread length of 3/4" long c) it has a min of 12 threads d)a fitting can be turned onto the pipe 2-1/2 complete revolutions by hand.
        That's all it says. Doesn't say kind of pipe or size or anything else. I'm guessing it doesn't matter?
        i really hope that the right answer is d- 2.5 turns by hand. especially since the others would sort of depend on the pipe diameter.

good luck with the test. if you've been in the trades 4 years or more, there's no reason to fail it.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by M3sinc View Post
          Yesterday you posted that you haven't done any service work and do not know what a closet auger is and that you have been plumbing for 10 years and now you say you never threaded pipe before Maybe you should learn how to do the basic task of plumbing before you jump into taking a journeyman's test. It amazes me that in your ten years of plumbing you haven't threaded a piece of pipe. Good luck on the test your going to need it
          ________
          Teen vids
          Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:43 PM.
          Mike

Comment

dawg you just said what everyone else is thinking. Happy hunting, and always remember you can take it again.

Comment

Cut the threaded end off, and weld it

Comment

Tozz , I feel terrible for these guys that can't weld! Like Jesse James, the motor cycle builder says. " there are two kinds of people in this world, those that can weld, and those that can't"
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

AN He'll have a real C- 36 soon, WOW
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Well in TN a C-36 is a workmans compensation claim form.

Comment

...if you've been in the trades 4 years or more, there's no reason to fail it.
                      Well apparently there is Rick. If you were never taught how to thread pipe you stand every chance of failing that portion of the test.

I am not sure how anyone gets through an apprenticeship w/o running at least one thread. And if you did...that's pretty sad cause you were robbed of a good education in the trade.

Sorry if that hurts but I believe its true.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
                        Well in TN a C-36 is a workmans compensation claim form.
                        I don't wish that on Him !

Comment

To those of you that responded in a positive manner, I thank you.

The rest of you guys are a real tool.

You guys are so small time it's pathetic. In real plumbing companies we have people that make up the piping in the shop. Piping is threaded, flanges are welded..... They're called fabricators. The piping is brought to the job site in semi containers where it is installed by those of us that know how to install pipe. I can solder, I can braze, I can bolt a flange, I can work a pipe wrench. All the things I need to do a real plumbing. Unlike you draincleaners and your channel locks and screwdrivers.

Topdawg you illiterate epitomy of a butt-crack plumber. Try reading the post over again. I never said I didn't know what an auger was. So tell us all the right answer to the question. The best tool to remove a blockage from a water closet is a) plunger b) screwdriver c) toilet auger d) a gloved hand.

G3 you're a sprinkler doof what do you know about plumbing? Is the lawn irrigation so slow you're hanging out with the real plumbers? Yes, I know you probably think you're either NFPA or NICET certified and that makes you special....blah blah blah short-bus sprinkler doof.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

I may be a sprinkler doof (and I am not working for some one else either) but at least I know how to thread a piece of pipe which is more than you. Your company must have the best designers ever and there are never any field changes. With all of your experience in the field and plumbing know how I am surprised you are just a grunt toting pipe out of a shipping container.

As far as the short bus, well at least it got me to somewhere that I learned more than you. I offered you a link to thread specs so that you could have something to look at and maybe learn something.

I don't know much about the plumbing biz at all, not my cup of tea. I also do not do irrigation work.

Sounds to me like you are just somebodies mule to do the grunt work since you know so much about screwdrivers and channel locks. You are by far any kind of plumber if you have someone else fab all of your work for you and all you do is put it together.

Woooooo you can solder, braze, turn a nut on a bolt and pull on the end of a wrench, I guess that is why you are coming to some forum to ask how to pass you plumbing test.

Yes I am NICET certified and did have to pass a battery of test and also had to have 10 years of design experience to get it. Never said I was special for holding certs, but it is something you do not have and with your crappy attitude never will. I can also solder, braze, turn a nut on a bolt, pull on a pipe wrench and weld.

Since we are such small time, which should be read as owners of small companies (which is what many of the members here are), I would be willing to see who had the most toys and money at the end of the year.

Since what ever little piddly outfit you are working for is sending all over the country sounds like you are just nothing but cheap labor.

The reason I came here the first time was to find some wheels for an old 535 threader, seemed like some nice people on here so I decided to stay. Like I said before, do not know much about plumbing but try to answer questions about threading problems and machines when I can.

Good luck with your test, you will need it.

Comment

Your words not mine:

I can solder, I can braze, I can bolt a flange, I can work a pipe wrench. All the things I need to do a real plumbing. WOW I guess your right if you can solder put some bolts together and use a pipe wrench you must be a PLUMBER

You also said:

Part of the exam is practical knowledge or common knowledge. I am a commercial plumber with ZERO experience as a service plumber. From the sample tests I have seen there are quite a few questions on things like what is the most common tool a plumber uses? or what is the best tool for removing a blockage in a toilet? and how can you tell when a pipe is properly threaded?

Topdawg you illiterate epitomy of a butt-crack plumber. Try reading the post over again. I never said I didn't know what an auger was. So tell us all the right answer to the question. The best tool to remove a blockage from a water closet is a) plunger b) screwdriver c) toilet auger d) a gloved hand. Your right you never did say anything about an auger, You just have no common sense as you should have learned all those answers in the first few years in the trade. Maybe you should take your gloved hand and pull the other 3 items out of your *ss and find out for yourself which one best removes a blockage from a toilet and then you can report back to us with the right answer

Next time check your spelling:

1. Epitomy
                              The common misspelling of the word 'empitome.' Its usage is popular among pompous jerks attempting to sound sophisticated. Ironically, it is the exact pronunciation of the very word many fail to spell correctly.
                              He is the epitomy of fat America, while I am the epitomy of a stupid jerk who uses words that he does not know how to spell correctly.
                              ________
                              Ktm 125Sx
                              Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:44 PM.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X