Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Help with Ridgid 345 tube flaring tool - why won't flare nuts slide on? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Ridgid 345 tube flaring tool - why won't flare nuts slide on?

I am new to using flaring tools, and cannot figure this out. I've tried about 10 times. I am using 3/8" steel brake line as the tubing. I am making single flares.

After I make my flare, the tube nut will not slide all the way down the tube and seat on the flare. It is being hung up on the walls of the tube, right behind where the flaring tool jaws grab the tube. I did some experimentation and, even if I just tighten the jaws of the flaring tool down on the tube (and do NOT proceed to flare the tube) the problem still exists.... so it seems like the problem is a result of the tube being clamped down in the tool, and not the flaring process.

So then I thought "hey, I just won't clamp the tube down as tight" but if I don't tighten the clamp down far enough, the flaring cone will not center on the tube.

What do I do?! Do I just have unusually sensitive tube nuts? They are the long brass ones.

Thanks, -Dave

Re: Help with Ridgid 345 tube flaring tool - why won't flare nuts slide on?

I uploaded a picture to show where the tube nut is stuck. This is where it stops. It will not slide all the way up to the flare.
    Attached Files

Comment

I really do not know, this is some thing I would try,
      turn the clamp 90 degrees after making the flare and re clamp, (I made a lot of hydraulic tubes for some agriculture equipment and do not remember having any problem, was using a different fitting that was steel with a sleeve, it was the 37 degree tho, the second thing I think I would try is either a file or some emery cloth on the area to see if there are any small burs, (I an not sure if it was my Ridgid unit but one of my flaring tools would pinch the tube and put burs on the seam between the two sides of the clamping unit, and some times would need cleaned up depending on the tube,
      one of the sites, a line to made this statement,
      With its wide range of sizes and configurations and its ability to accept metric and imperial tubing just by changing the sleeve, JIC 37° has become accepted world-wide. http://www.armature.rs/ISO%208434-2-ENGLISH.htm
      is the tubing SAE or inch? or could it be some thing else?

I really do not know the purpose of what your doing but my experience most brake systems us a double flare, http://www.valvoline.com/car-care/au.../pht20021201df

and hydraulics use a 37 degree, single flare, JIC. http://www.armature.rs/ISO%208434-2-ENGLISH.htm
      37° Flare (JIC) Hydraulic Fittings (SAE J514) This Connection is very common in fluid power systems. Both the male and female halves of the connections have 37° seats. The seal takes place by establishing a line contact between the male flare and the female cone seat. The threads hold the connection mechanically. CAUTION: in the -02, -03, -04, -05, -08, and -10 sizes, the threads of the SAE 45° flare and the SAE 37° flare are the same. However, the sealing surface angles are not the same.Inch Size
      http://www.valleyhydraulic.com/JIC_Fittings.html
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I tried sandpaper instead of emery cloth and it worked. The steel tube just past the clamp on the flaring tube must have bulged out a little. I sanded the coating off down to bare metal, and was able to muscle the tube nut all the way down to the flare. I might try turning the tube 90* and then reclamping it to see if that works too.

I am making transmission cooler lines for my hot rod. I am using the steel brake line because it is readily available, pretty high quality, and coated so I don't have to paint it. I am not sure if it's SAE or inch... I didn't even know there was a difference! It does measure to exactly 3/8" OD though.

I was thinking about buying a 37* flare tool, but I also needed to make some brake lines, so I bought the 45* double flare kit. The 45* SAE flares in brass are also a little cheaper than the steel JIC fittings, however most places don't stock as good a selection of 45* SAE as they do 37* JIC.

Comment

Here's a picture of the sanded tube.
          Attached Files

Comment

good luck with the project, SAE is inch and it sounds like it correct,

but I know in this day and age, so much is fudged, with a mix of metric and inch,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
            X