2" stainless steel pipe threads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2" stainless steel pipe threads

hello, I was doing some fitting today with 2" pipe, some of the threads were made at a shop for me but others I made myself with a rigid ratchet threader and the stainless steel dies, but halfway through the job( about 50-55 nipples) I threaded somoe nipples in hand tight to get a measurement and they just seized in there I used a 36" RIGID pipewrench and a 5' snipe but just ended up egging the niplles any ideas? this is my first picnic with stainless but have done lots of carbon steel fitting. thanks

Re: 2" stainless steel pipe threads

Some SS does not play well with others even on factory threaded nuts and bolts. Put some dope, tape, never seeze, or what ever on them to prevent them from galling up on you. Once they gall up you are screwed.

Comment

Worked with SS piping back in the late '60's-'70's at a textile mill. The older pipe fitters taught me that " get it right the first time--or be screwed", no pun intended. SS is a breed to itself. David

Comment

this is true with SS i had some nuts and bolts that i put together hand tight and they would not come apart , i had to cut them to get them off .
        try some pipe dope even if your taking it apart ,i used never seize
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
          Some SS does not play well with others even on factory threaded nuts and bolts. Put some dope, tape, never seeze, or what ever on them to prevent them from galling up on you. Once they gall up you are screwed.
          Give Us an Address, Tozz and I will weld it for You . Then You won't be SCREWED !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

antiseize is the only thing i have found to help assemble stainless bolts without galling . but to pipe threads i would probably put a thin coating on the threads and "dry" fit . clean off then followed by the thread sealant of your choice.

Larry

Comment

OK! Guys, It's rare that I'm not in total agreement with "Tozzi", But, Stainless does not gall, or "gælle" (fish-gill in Danish). On the contrary, it mirror polishes, and that's where the problem starts. You know what happens if you glide 2 surfaces of clean plate glass together? Yeah! they kind of fuse, and almost weld together. Stainless can be mirror polished, and that's exactly what happens. The nicer the threads you made are, the worse it gets.
              Any threads in stainless, regardless of factory made bolts etc, or self cut threads must be lubricated. What you use is not that crittical, That you use something is. Never-Sieze, etc, is of course optimal and excellent, and so is a lot of other stuff.
              I hope this helps to avoid some unnescessary problems!

Comment

Working...
              X