X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad threads on new ridgid 300

Hello everyone. Could i throw a question out there about a new 300 unit. When cutting 1/2 and 3/4 threads, i always get broken and missing threads and of course it leaks on an air test like a son of a gun. The dies appear to still be brand new. I am feeding oil from the top untill the end of the cut but still getting bad threads. Is there a secret in how to cut a perfect thread on a 300. Thank you in advance.

Re: bad threads on new ridgid 300

are you using the carriage and a common die head for the 1/2'' and 3/4''?

or are you just using the 300 as a power drive and using 12r die heads?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

If the dies are in good shape, what kind of cutting oil are you using?

I have found that is one area not to be cheap in. Use a quality oil and it does wear out also. I use a dark oil made by Shell (I think) and is high in sulfer, buy it in 55 gallon barrel.

Next I would look at what kind of pipe are you using? domestic or foriegn.
      Foreign pipe sometimes is poor quality, can have hard and soft spots in it.

I thread only black and galvanized steel ASTM A-53.

G3

Comment

Thank you again for your help. I believe it came with a 811A quick opening die head with the 1/2,3/4 dies. I checked the brand of oil and it is made by Masters. Should i have used the ridgid oil instead? I get the black pipe from our wholesaler and they for a fact will always get their supply from the cheapest vendor. Can someone successfully get good threads from inferior pipe if a particular technique is followed?

Comment

Never heard of master brand oil, but you could try a gallon of the ridgid and see if you have any better results.

A buddy of mine who works for a different outfit had some cutting oil he had gotten from the supply house, looked like burnt motor oil and smoked like a '73 pinto. Threads were torn out and he was complaining about it. I told him to try changing to a better oil and it solved his problems.

Comment

Thank you for your knowledgable help. I have picked up a new gallon of ridgid nu clear (i think rick told someone else i read it had 5 % sulphur) Is that the oil you would try? I m going back to give it another shot next week.

Comment

keep us posted. smorris is the ridgid expert on threaders. he should be able to get you dialed in if it's still an issue.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

nu-clear is good oil, I think you will notice a difference myself.

Keep us posted.

G3

Comment

Originally posted by robertochekwong View Post
                  Hello everyone. Could i throw a question out there about a new 300 unit. When cutting 1/2 and 3/4 threads, i always get broken and missing threads and of course it leaks on an air test like a son of a gun. The dies appear to still be brand new. I am feeding oil from the top untill the end of the cut but still getting bad threads. Is there a secret in how to cut a perfect thread on a 300. Thank you in advance.

Probably an obvious "it's not this" but what the heck... Are the die head installed in the proper order? Or... are any of the die heads chipped or missing small sections of teeth?
                  Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Hi Rick, I just finished a 3/4 and 1/2 blk pipe install with the new 300 and used the ridgid nu-clear. The threads are still not coming out perfect. Somewhere either on the third or fourth thread, it has a flat spot or looks broken. Although it passed the air test luckily, have you ever heard of the 300 ever having these problems right out of the box? Thanks again.

Comment

smorris is the threader engineer at ridgid. he is usually on in the morning and should be able to answer this.

just to make sure, the 1/2'' and 3/4'' use the same dies. are they installed in the right order and are not chipped?

the new threader came with a sample nipple that was included with the machine. this sample is the actual piece that was cut and threaded with this machine and die head.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

To start, thank you again for helping me resolve my bad thread problem. After listening to the responses about using better oil, i went and bought a gallon of ridgid extreme ss cutting oil. The threads are coming out very nice now. I am relieved to see that this machine is fine. However, are you surprised to hear that the ridgid nu clear couldnt cut it.?

Comment

Glad to hear you got nice threads going on the pipe.

Most are just amazed at what a change in cutting oil will do for threads.

There is not much that can really go wrong with a 300 machine.

Good to hear for sure.

G3

Comment

Hi Robert, and welcome to the forum. Sorry I didn't see this earlier (thanks, Josh for the pointer.)

As you have found, threading oil quality make a big difference in the quality of the resulting threads. Nu-Clear has served us well for many years, and is still a great threading oil for most applications. But the new Endura-Clear, which is similar to your Extreme, is really a cut above, and works where Nu-Clear might leave a less than perfect thread. Plus your dies will last longer and run cooler.

The other contributing factor is pipe quality. As you noted, your vendor is sourcing the cheapest he can get, and that's usually imported. In your neck of hte woods, that's most likely coming from the far east, and the guys here can tell you nightmares about the quality of some of that pipe. Some is OK, while the next batch may just tear or have inclusions, hard welds, soft areas, etc. which doesn't thread acceptably on any machine. I realize you have no control over your pipe supply, but using the best tools and oil will go a long way to get the best threads you can with low end pipe.

I'm glad to read that you got the pipe threaded OK, and it looks like you are all set for now. The 300 Complete is a great machine, and will give you years of service without a complaint.

Best regards,
                            Steve

(Rick; Don's the chaser/threading engineer. I'm the machine designer. I make him look good. )
                            Steve
                            www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Working...
                            X