X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pressed for time

landed a new account last week when i did a walk through and assessed their current plumbing situation.

this was not a free walk through either. it was a 1.5 hr. paid assessment

they even emailed me some past invoices so i could catch up on their history too.

so today they had another pin hole in their circ line that serves the entire high end gym. told them to tell the members that the hot will be off from 1pm-3pm so as to not shower.

the 2 hour window was so in case i showed up late or ran into problems as i've never worked their or shut down the hot system.

the 3/4'' copper was in the men's locker room ceiling about 14' off the ground

i prefabbed the 3/4'' 90's and 2 couplings. figured that in case it doesn't drain down, i could quickly press the system and not take a bath

of course i was prepared with 2 buckets and a tarp.

well, long story short i had the water on before the shower stopped draining

i guess they were impressed as i overheard the owner and manager talking as i returned from the boiler room

also managed to properly snake out 7 showers with my k-50 , 5/8'' sectional and 4 blade cutter. the other company would run a 1/4'' bent cable and call it a day

plus they would bring a "plumber and a jr. plumber"

they've been milking this guy for years.

so the moral of the story is, have the right tools and do the right job. you never know if someone else is competing for the work.

rick.

8' ladder of theirs and i was on the last rung.

propress 100b and miwaukee cordless cutter. needed the extra reach of the cutter to cut the pipe. a tubing cutter would have brought me on the top platform of the 8' ladder.

pretty simple repair, 2 propress 90's and 2 couplings. 14' off the ground

the right tools for the shower drain. 5/8'' cable and 4 blade cutter.

not a bad catch today as they snaked the drains last week with a 1/4'' cable and a plumber and jr. plumber.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-09-2010, 10:48 PM.
    phoebe it is

Re: pressed for time

looks good Rick ! If people did not know about you what ways would you try to get your name out?

Comment

hey Rick when I got my press I also go a reaming tool and when I use it I get hung up on the pipe when I am doing the outside and end up gouging out small pieces of copper is there some technique that I am missing here? or is their a better tool for the job? this is what I have. well sorry I can not find it but it sold by ridgid and has three blades on each end one end they form a point to ream the inside and three that form a cone that do the outside and it is the outside reaming that is driving me crazy can you help?

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
        hey Rick when I got my press I also go a reaming tool and when I use it I get hung up on the pipe when I am doing the outside and end up gouging out small pieces of copper is there some technique that I am missing here? or is their a better tool for the job? this is what I have. well sorry I can not find it but it sold by ridgid and has three blades on each end one end they form a point to ream the inside and three that form a cone that do the outside and it is the outside reaming that is driving me crazy can you help?
        ridgid makes an aluminum body reamer that has multiple cutting blades. ths will go easier on you than the 3 blade design.

try that. honestly with a tubing cutter, there is not much to ream on the od of the copper. the id, i use my 4 pin roller reamer no scrap shavings to worry about.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I thought you had to do the od so the o-ring does not rip ?

Comment

I thought you had to do the od so the o-ring does not rip ?

yes you do, but a tubing cutter does a good job of forcing the cut into the id. the rollers flatten the burr and push it inward.

the reaming for the od is not near as much as the id.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

What's with the cheap ladder? Where was the Little Giant? I have customers tell me I can use the ladder they have handy so I don't have to get mine off the truck. I always refuse. I'm surprised you didn't also.

Comment

you're right about the ladder. but honestly with the propress and electric tubing cuter, i hardly had to do anything but squeeze a trigger

i had prefabbed the assembly and had to do 2 presses. 1 on each coupling and a little reaming.

mark knows all about cheap ladders

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  ridgid makes an aluminum body reamer that has multiple cutting blades. ths will go easier on you than the 3 blade design.

try that. honestly with a tubing cutter, there is not much to ream on the od of the copper. the id, i use my 4 pin roller reamer no scrap shavings to worry about.

rick.
                  I own one of them their alundum 1/2" to 2" reamers. It does work great it has 45 cutting edges so I do not get hung up deburring the OD. http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/223S-227...s/EN/index.htm
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

The principal called us into his office.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      The principal called us into his office.

J.C.
                      Where did the discussion go?

I thought you had some good points J.C.

I've heard the habitual rebutals repeatedly

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        Where did the discussion go?

I thought you had some good points J.C.

I've heard the habitual rebutals repeatedly
                        Someone thought it should be moderated and removed.

To each his own... (READ FAST BEFORE IT DISAPPEARS!)

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          Someone thought it should be moderated and removed.

To each his own... (READ FAST BEFORE IT DISAPPEARS!)

J.C.
                          What did you do upset Ricky.
                          You know...It's common knowledge we leave the pacifier in it's place or Joey looses sleep.

Comment

Hey Now! I thought you where not going to buy the tubing cutter? I bought it and the pvc shear I Love em! Maybe it was the shear you refused to buy? I can just see you at HD walking away from the tools and them talking to you " Cmon Rick come back and buy us"
                            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

the copper cutter is nice, but it's not as fast as a good ridgid #15 cutter.

i own 2. 1 is for me and the other one is for ben if he can actually beat me

the pvc cutter is not a tool for the work i do. i don't do large scale pvc. does it cut 1.5'' and 2'' abs

i find a ridgid tubing cutter with a plastic thin wheel does a great job on plastic. i have them up to 4'' and use mine as often as i cut abs. my japanese pull saw will cut clean and straight when i can't get a tubing cutter in position.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X