X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Made the ProPress Plunge

I forgot to post the repipe picture. So here it is.

Attached Files
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Looks like you cleaned up some unnecessary mess. The picture is a little blurry. Did you press a couple of ball valves & solder the rest?

More stable that way?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Looks like you cleaned up some unnecessary mess. The picture is a little blurry. Did you press a couple of ball valves & solder the rest?

More stable that way?

Thanks.

J.C.
        I pressed on two male adapters into the duel checks, and the ball valves. Then soldered the rest. I needed to replace the two ball valves that where there since they where pretty trashed, but the water would of taken hours to drain down. So I thats why I went with the Propress ball valves. Reason for soldering the rest was just to save a few bucks on fittings, along with the fact my suppliers did not have a huge selection of 1/2" ProPress fittings.

Comment

Ron,

Do you still have to put air chambers at each fixture?

It used to be required in St. Paul to have a 2" x 60" long air chamber at the water meter. In plumbing school we had a pyrex air chamber of those dimensions so we could see what was going on inside the air chamber. At the beginning of school it was emptied, and then connected back to the water supply system of the school. Every day the water level was higher in the chamber. In ~six weeks it was full of water. The air had completely diffused into the water. Our conclusion was air chambers only function for a short time before they become waterlogged.
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

If you look in the illustrated UPC, it talks about the standard air chambers and how they're now known to be ineffective.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
              Ron,

Do you still have to put air chambers at each fixture?

It used to be required in St. Paul to have a 2" x 60" long air chamber at the water meter. In plumbing school we had a pyrex air chamber of those dimensions so we could see what was going on inside the air chamber. At the beginning of school it was emptied, and then connected back to the water supply system of the school. Every day the water level was higher in the chamber. In ~six weeks it was full of water. The air had completely diffused into the water. Our conclusion was air chambers only function for a short time before they become waterlogged.

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              If you look in the illustrated UPC, it talks about the standard air chambers and how they're now known to be ineffective.
              Yes we still are required to install air chambers at each fixture, and on risers. at the fixtures it should be 12" long and the risers 24" long.

My brother repiped my mom's laundry tub and left out the air chambers at the washing machine, talk about some mean water hammer. I installed a pair of 3/4" x12" air chambers and she has not had any watter hammer ever since. This was a few years back. So I think they do work.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                I installed a pair of 3/4" x12" air chambers and she has not had any watter hammer ever since. This was a few years back. So I think they do work.
                Perhaps the reason the water no longer hammers has nothing to do with air actually being in an air chamber? (seriously)
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

We are required by code to put them on all fixtures. They must be 12" x 1/2". I think they are ridiculous. Sometimes if its a small remodel like a shower and lav thats not getting inspected, I won't bother. Why would I charge my customers for something that doesn't work. The only time any of our projects had a knocking noise was because someone did not properly strap the water lines. I have noticed that when some of the American Standard shower valves w/ ceramic cartridge and press balance units wear out they cause a water hammer. I have only been able to solve it not by replacing the cartridge and press balance unit but by replacing the whole shower valve.
                  Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                  Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Working...
                  X