X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Press G

I have a small gas job to do when the fittings come in i hope that will be tomorrow. I was going to use c.s.s.t "gastite" how ever while I was away with the wife in Virginia for the weekend I was reading an old thread you guys were putting down c.s.s.t for various reasons but this lightning thing really rubbed me the wrong way. I googled "csst lightning damage " and found pictures of the tube with HOLES in it and from INDIRECT STRIKES. That was a what the fu$@ moment for me. I then planned on using soft copper and found in the Baltimore metro area nobody really installs copper so nobody really stocks it! When I pulled the permits I found out that Pro press is in the new NFP 54 2009 and can use the fittings problem solved. Have any of you used Pro Press G fittings? and yes I have installed c.s.s.t. and have not installed it since 2007 before these new requirements came in to play. Were I not many homes had gas piped to the community but now I am working close to the city were almost every thing is nat gas.

Re: Pro Press G

Propress G fittings

I have never even heard of them but I am very interested in hearing about them as well.....

Another reason to buy a new toy I mean tool

Comment

you don't have a pro press?

Comment

I have not purchased one yet but i know I will...

My only question on Propress G is who and why would anyone use copper for a gas line when we know what Natural gas does to it? My inspector(s) will not let copper gas line fly.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
          I have not purchased one yet but i know I will...

My only question on Propress G is who and why would anyone use copper for a gas line when we know what Natural gas does to it? My inspector(s) will not let copper gas line fly.
          When you are ready for a new ProPress gun call Marvin at AJ Coleman, he can give you sweet deals on the big gun corded or battery, or the 210B I think he has a 100B left as well.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

soft copper has been used on 2lb jobs in Maryland for maybe ten years now. And now I own a pro press and want to get some use out of it.

Comment

Has anyone actually used propress for gas pipe? that sounds risky if you ask me.... Besides here in california i've never seen copper used for gas.

Comment

well I got my copper in one 3/4" line maybe a total of 8' valved and caped off and one 1/2" line around 25' valved and pressure test gauge installed . I am going back tomorrow to pump it to 30psi and install one split ring and replace the dishwasher. I tell you what thou I need to get the rings for the tool had two very hard connections the 1st was directly above the breaker box 2nd a 4" cast iron branch . I also need to get a full stock of the Pro-press G and std Pro-press fittings getting only what I think I am going to need for the job is really starting to cut it close and forcing me to alter the piping in a way I would normally not run piping. The responses about you can not use copper is most like based on the chemical makeup of the gas in your area and its effects on copper. you may be able to use a tin lined copper piping? How ever for know the Pro press G is a winner for me .

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten Plumbing View Post
                  Has anyone actually used propress for gas pipe? that sounds risky if you ask me.... Besides here in california i've never seen copper used for gas.
                  actually in the older neighborhoods 1920-1940's lots of underground gas services are copper out here.

gas co. use to install the meter at curbside in the ground vault and the plumber would run a copper main to the house. we would find them when it was time to install an earthquake valve at the house.

the sulphur content dictates the use of copper for gas.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Whats your take on these excess flow shut off valves do you use them ?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      actually in the older neighborhoods 1920-1940's lots of underground gas services are copper out here.

gas co. use to install the meter at curbside in the ground vault and the plumber would run a copper main to the house. we would find them when it was time to install an earthquake valve at the house.

the sulphur content dictates the use of copper for gas.

rick.
                      Rick,

would you use propress for gas piping? Say for instance you needed to repipe the gas piping in a single family residence.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                        Whats your take on these excess flow shut off valves do you use them ?
                        junk.

in order for them to work, they have to exceed their flow design.

so you could have a sizable leak, yet under the flow design, and the valve will not shut.

not a fan of a seismic valves either, but i feel it's the lesser of 2 evils.

rick,
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten Plumbing View Post
                          Rick,

would you use propress for gas piping? Say for instance you needed to repipe the gas piping in a single family residence.

if i didn't already own 7 pipe machines and csst from 1/2''- 1.25'', then i would probably consider it as our sulphur content is low enough for copper.

i do own butt fusion for hdpe underground gas piping.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

if your gas is "dry" can you pipe out your gas lines as water lines with no regard for 1/4" slope and drip legs?
                            Last edited by Clipper City Plumber; 04-25-2010, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Do you guys buy labels to mark natural gas piping or could you use a label maker? I ask because I need to label the piping every six feet and every supply house is telling me they will have to put in a special order for the labels.

Comment

Working...
                              X