Threading Stainless

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threading Stainless

Just looking over the Ridgid website, it seems all threader dies listed for stainless carry the designation H.S.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Pipe-And...hine-Die-Heads

Does this mean I have to purchase a High Speed threader to run stainless?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Threading Stainless

no, it means the dies are high speed steel. compared to carbon steel dies.

but when i hand thread 1'' steel pipe at the round up, i'm high speed

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Does that mean I'm higher speed?

Comment

not for long as lack of oil will kill the dies

plus i did win the 3 threader contest

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          no, it means the dies are high speed steel. compared to carbon steel dies.

but when i hand thread 1'' steel pipe at the round up, i'm high speed

rick.
          Thanks. I think one of my projects is headed toward stainless and I'm doing some homework.

J.C.

Comment

Does anyone have any special things they do when running stainless?

I know to get the right dies and cutting oil.

Do you change the cutter? Special Tapes or Dopes?

Any detail is appreciated.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

keep your stainless dies for stainless only. don't thread black/gal and stainless together.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Does anyone clean their threads to remove oil residues to get a purer bond with sealants? Solvents?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

[QUOTE=JCsPlumbing;296378]Does anyone clean their threads to remove oil residues to get a purer bond with sealants? Solvents?

good question. I haven't done that in a long time. We used sawdust or Portland cement.
                  Portland cement work's real good. I like using a dishpan. Just dip the pipe in and wipe the threads off.
                  if you have a old rigid oilier fill that up with cement that work's real will.

Rich

Comment

Easy enough to say, but in Europe and Scandinavia, Stainless piping is usually done by Tig Welding, and welding on threaded nipples where absolutely unavoidable. Joining of sections being done by flanges.
                    I'm sure there are a lot of codes & regulations you have to go by, so this may not be an option. However, Tig welding threaded nipples etc. on the workpiece, is a lot faster and easier than cutting all those threads, in a material where you really need the right dies, and know-how.
                    Be interesting if "Tozzi Welding" or one of the other Stainless Masters comes in with a comment, re how to do it by US specs!

Comment

The dies for stainless should have H.S. / S.S stamped on them. I have had people come in with just the high speed dies and it does not work very well. Besides the right dies and oil the most important thing to remember is to keep your stainless dies for stainless only.

http://www.tradetoolsupply.com

Comment

For SS we use SS dies, and only for SS, can't risk carbon contamination. I have threaded SS with the regular Ridgid dies in my 00-R hand threader, lots and I mean lots of a good cutting fluid( I like Rapid Tap, or Tap Magic), and go slow. Start cutting and then back off to clear the chips, add more oil, repeat. As far as SS in a power vise, pony up and get the SS dies, and a good cutting fluid, Mobil makes a good high sulfur cutting fluid for most metals.
                        Last edited by TozziWelding; 07-11-2010, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I am currently running 1 1/2 inch stainless threaded pipe and we're having difficulties. They won't allow welding,or Xpando and I've noticed the fittings we're using are very thin shouldered,they seem to stretch when tightened. Any way,does anyone know of a pipe dope/sealant that will seal leak tight but not harden to the point you can't take it apart? I've heard of Loctite # 567 and it's a liquid teflon...is it 100% ? Any help is appreciated.....Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X