X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is Right?

Don't do much threading obviously. What's right & wrong with the picture here?

Thanks.

J.C.
    Attached Files

Re: Which is Right?

Because it is a tapered thread you have to be careful not to have long starting threads. There is a standard of how many threads it should be.

I'm headed out the door but check this link.

http://www.regufluid.com/PDF/Pipe%20Threads.pdf

Mark
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 05-18-2010, 04:06 PM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Also looks dry. Needs lots of oil to cut the threads. I put oil on the pipe as I start, then about two to three more times as I am cutting the threads.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

As a rule...you will thread the pipe until the pipe reaches the last groove of the die head. This will give you a full taper. Also agree the cut was dry...lots of oil...oil the entire cut process if you can. Also it looks like the teeth on the die cutter are dull. This is why junks of the thread are missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
          As a rule...you will thread the pipe until the pipe reaches the last groove of the die head. This will give you a full taper. Also agree the cut was dry...lots of oil...oil the entire cut process if you can. Also it looks like the teeth on the die cutter are dull. This is why junks of the thread are missing.
          This is what I'm bringing to everyone's attention. The shinier nipple on the left is a purchased one. Notice the shortness of the thread run. Other purchased nipples I have show the same short thread length.

Now, if you make the run the length of the die you get a much longer run as shown in the pictures. The new nipple will only thread to this point.

Always more oil. Thanks. The new one is well....new. The other one was done awhile ago and cleaned well. One thing I do notice is the taper difference. The old one is just a piece of old galvanized I had around. Thick. And I way over-reamed it in my opinion.

I adjusted the head slightly towards the over and improved the overall look & taper. But still longer threads than anything purchased.

All thread fine on a cockeyed Chinese coupling. Gonna' set up a pressure test block sometime soon.

Thanks for reading. All ideas & experiences appreciated.

J.C.

Comment

Two threads past the die teeth for a full depth thread and use as much oil as possible while cutting... I like the one on the left if I get to pick one

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
              Two threads past the die teeth for a full depth thread and use as much oil as possible while cutting... I like the one on the left if I get to pick one
              Thanks Bill. But it poses a question. Why are none of my purchased nipples the full thread length?

See Pic. 2. The die head is closed and this is as far as the new nipple will thread. Threads in fine too.

Thanks.

J.C.
              Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 05-19-2010, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Any of the Ridgid Threader experts, please chime in.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

I believe this this understood now but here goes,MORE OIL!!!! I know everone loves a smarta$$.

Comment

Originally posted by JW3 View Post
                    I believe this this understood now but here goes,MORE OIL!!!! I know everone loves a smarta$$.
                    Thanks. But that is not my question. All of the purchased nipples I have around of various lengths will NOT thread the "NORMAL" distance into the die head just as picture 2 shows.

Why? Which is right?

Thanks again.

(By the way, the pics were "staged" long after the threader has been cleaned up and just sitting there. I just threaded the pieces in and took the pictures.)

J.C.

Comment

Simply put the CLOSE nipple as shown by your last pic can not be done with a standard threader.Most threaders can not thread a nipple shorter than 7 inches.As a rule of thumb I was always taught 11 threads when threading pipe.Other people tell me it's thirteen.Bottom line if it doesn't leak it's close enough[ha,ha,ha].As far as oiling goes oil before threading and continue after every two to three revolutions and the teeth [which should be replaced] will last a long time.

Comment

Working...
                      X