X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pressed and run

pin hole leak in a 3/4 hot return line. squirting a fine hole into the storage room on the other side of the wall.

21 unit building and had it cut and pressed without them even knowing the hot water was off.

called them to tell them it was fixed and they asked when i did it

rick.

the hot return blew a pin hole through the drywall and into their storage room.

finished in a matter of a couple minutes without waiting for the water to drain. note that i date this stuff to be able to see the life of the fittings.

i had to reach around the heater and vent pipe.

same heater from a year ago.

cleaned up pretty well and notice the date code there.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 06-26-2010, 12:32 PM.
    phoebe it is

Re: pressed and run

Rish are you dating the fitting for your info, or have you had an issue with the fittings in the past?? I had a bad fitting show up one month ago,1/2" viega 90, it went to leaking about one yr after it was installed. I tried to figure out what caused the leak, but I am still scratching my head.
    Would you have any insight on this.

Comment

i date it just for simple id and to see how they hold out. this particular job i've been working at for 15-20 years and i can use it for a long term test case.

on your 1/2'' 90 that failed. was the copper tubing you attached to new or existing. if it was existing, then it probably was worn thin and the leak was just the copper wore through with the help of the crimp.

if it was new copper, then is it possible you nicked the o-ring upon installation. do you have the old piece and can you cut it close to the end and do a visual

was this a hot line? was it a circ. line? viega fitting or a different brand?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

a press gun is definitely on my to buy list.

thx

Comment

i said the same thing 7 times

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I hope that's galvy gas pipe.

J.C.

Comment

galvy gas pipe i didn't install as i didn't do the original construction there in the early 80's. gut for a 21 unit 3 story building with gal gas pipe, it's still standing, no ones been hurt and the building hasn't blown up
              plus the pipe looks real good in the subterranean garage with no rust.

now i'm worried we're going to have to repipe thousands and thousands of buildings due to gal pipe used for gas

come on out here, there's going to be plenty of work

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

The fittings you used are they just like the viega one of my suppliers sells them but I have wondered how well they work any advantage with them?

Comment

depending where i buy fittings and if i'm pulling from stock. the majority of my stock is viega. 1 local supply house stocks the elkhart/ xpress brand.

so far no real difference as they both use the same ridgid jaws and the only visual difference is the xpress fittings don't have a crimp on the leading edge of the fitting. still the same 50 year warranty.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                  X