No announcement yet.

can I thread brass with the Ridgid 300?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can I thread brass with the Ridgid 300?

I have a Ridgid 300 pipe threading machine and I need to thread brass pipe. The jaws on the machine are marring the pipe and the thread doesnt seem to be right either. I have heard that the machine was only designed for black pipe. Is this true and if not then can the dies and jaws be swapped out for something else that will allow me to put threads on brass pipe?

Re: can I thread brass with the Ridgid 300?

no reason why you can't thread brass. typically the only brass i thread are nipples up to 12'' long. a nipple chuck will prevent marring of the pipe.

what exactly is your application and sizes you're looking to thread?

the 300 will thread everything from pvc to stainless steel and everything in between to 6'' steel pipe.

not to mention roll grooving.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I am working with 3/8" all the way to 1" brass pipe. It will be used in a medical sterilizer. My biggest problem now if the marring of the pipe from the jaws. I also read somewhere that the threads come out less then perfect on the brass because the material is soo soft and threading pipe brass on the 300 is not reccommended.

Does Ridgid sell replaceent jaws that wont marr the pipe? Can I still use the dies that came with the 300 to thread brass and possibily stainless and aluminum?

Comment

i downloaded the 300 users manual and also looked at the parts break down. the only thing i could find were jaw inserts for coated pipe. basically they have larger more aggressive teeth to dig through the coating on the pipe.

didn't find anything in the manual concerning brass pipe.

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/C8434FA..._Drive_Man.pdf

steve morris who just retired from ridgid was an engineer who worked and designed lots of threaders. he still reads and contributes on the forum.

he might have some more insight.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
        X