X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldering a press fitting

I am wondering if I can solder a press fitting that blew off under pressure.

Do to my mistake, an elbow on a small section of 1" copper blew off under pressure (heated up a small section of closed loop piping). This area is fitting to fitting and I don't have room to cut it out and install a new fitting.

I should be able to remove the o-ring (if I need to), heat up the elbow (to expand it), push it back on the pipe, and solder it.

Will this work?

Re: Soldering a press fitting

Don't know. I'd like to think I could but don't have the experience to back it up.

Didn't quite understand. Why did the fitting fail?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

It failed as I closed the inlet and outlet valves on a hot water coil in my furnace duct. I turned on the furnace a couple of days later and the hot air heated up the coil, expanding the liquid, and it blew the fitting off.

Comment

I wonder what kind of pressure that created
        wasn't someone "probably rick" telling us about a firehouse where they slam the ball valve shut water hammering the fittings. I have to imagine water hammer like that throws a lot of pressure all at once at the fittings.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Suppose to handle 200psi up to 250 degrees F if memory serves.

J.C.

Comment

Rick is gonna love this thread!

Comment

Pro Press can not handle water hammer ?

Comment

Rick..Rick Who?

Rick doesn't even own a propress.Maybe with this winter he'll get tired of dragging a torch under the mobile homes after digging through a couple feet of snow.

No..No solder on press fittings.Not how the fitting was designed.If an insurance finds your fitting on a claim I can only imagine how many nails they're going to use to nail you to the wall.

Comment

wrong rick

of course the street fittings can be soldered first if you remove the o-ring, then you can press the socket.

now if you want to solder the socket, it's not recommended for a few reasons.

first of all the tolerance is too large for proper capillary action, the o-ring grove will probably stop the solder from passing and the silicone oil in the fitting will need to be fully cleaned out.

you would have much better luck if you silver braze the fitting over soldering. of course the only approved method on the socket end is crimping.

can it be done, yes if something happens, you're on your own

post some before and after photos please

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I don't do propress. I would give it 6 wraps of Gorilla Tape, not duct tape, go wide on both sides and then put hose clamps on both ends so the tape does not come off. Its either a failure in the product, or a failure in the installation, we may never know. Pics might help. If you can't fix it the right way then get someone that can, don't "hack" it together. Sometimes there is no easy fix. If you don't have access, make an access. Just saying.
                    The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
                      I don't do propress. I would give it 6 wraps of Gorilla Tape, not duct tape, go wide on both sides and then put hose clamps on both ends so the tape does not come off. Its either a failure in the product, or a failure in the installation, we may never know. Pics might help. If you can't fix it the right way then get someone that can, don't "hack" it together. Sometimes there is no easy fix. If you don't have access, make an access. Just saying.
                      Thanks Rick.
                      When are you coming down off that mountain?
                      Running out of days on the beach we can use to color them knobby bird legs of yours that ain't seen sun for twenty years.

Comment

Working...
                      X