X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with 37 degree flares using Ridgid 375

Hi, I am trying to fab up some stainless fuel lines for a project using some 1/2"-.035 wall 304 seamless stainless line. I'm using a Ridgid 375 flaring tool. The problem I am having is that the flare ends up oblong or egg shaped. I think I am doing everything right though. First, I cut the tubing off square with a fine toothed hacksaw, then I clean up the face with a file and deburr the lip. Then I shoot some lubricant on the flaring cone and set the tube in the yoke with the edge flush with the lip. I put the dial to "feed" then rotate it until it gets hard to turn, then move the dial to "iron" and turn it a bunch then back to "feed" and back it off the flare. The thing is, when I have it on "iron", it feels like it's fairly easy to rotate but it always contacts a rough spot when getting turned which I'm pretty sure is the flaring cone contacting the out of round area of the flare. Any ideas on what's causing this? I haven't been able to find any information on troubleshooting problems like this.

Re: Help with 37 degree flares using Ridgid 375

haven't had to flare stainless so i will take a stab at it.

2 things, is the tool rated for stainless? stainless is not the same as iron.

i would use a tubing cutter with a stainless rated wheel to make a true square cut.

if you can get away with it, heat the end of the tubing to soften or anneal it. but remember the tubing will be soft and not hard.

lets see what other say as i have 0 experience with flaring stainless.

post a photo or 2 of the flare and set up would help.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

had dinner with a buddy that is a machinist. his first answer was needs to be heated. then he mentioned if the stainless was seamless?

his concern along with mine was the fact that you might be using this on aircraft/ helicopters. if so, can you fabricate your own parts or do they have to purchased from the manufacturer?

here is a link for those interested in the tool and instructions.

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/8F05E9F...08%20INSTR.pdf

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

The Ridgid 377 is a 37 deg. flaring tool don't know about the 375.

Here's a flaring tool made for stainless and titanium.

http://www.toolsource.com/degree-rol...rceid=googleps

Comment

Hi, I am trying to fab up some stainless fuel lines for a project using some 1/2"-.035 wall 304 seamless stainless line.
          Yeah the line is from Parker hydraulics. Its actually some of the better seamless I've seen. I am actually using this stuff for an offroading vehicle fuel system. Here's the build pages. I work on helicopters for a living, so I'm used to expecting a certain amount of quality and finish in the lines I'm used to removing on a daily basis. That's why I was initially concerned with how this flare turned out. I'll try the heating idea out. My problem is that I just haven't worked with the flaring/bending side of the business to know if I am just missing something that the pros would take for granted.

Here's a link to the tool I have. It's supposedly identical to the 377 but for larger tubing sizes.
          http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/458R-Rat...l/EN/index.htm

Comment

Contact your Parker dealer. Pretty sure they make what you need and have the right advice. They are expensive (on the things I was working on) but have great tolerances.

Many of us could give you advice that may work but....I'd check with them.

Good luck. Post some pics of your rig.

J.C.

Comment

you link is the same one i posted when you go to the instruction sheet.

i looked at my mcmaster carr catalog and saw the different stainless tubing they have to offer. some are flare-able and some not.

if you have a little spare tubing to work with, try heating the end before you flare it. that should soften the tubing enough to flare.

also try not to insert the tubing all the way flush to the top. take a smaller bite, then raise it up it as it forms. the flaring cone is an eccentric. you're sure it's rotating and not sticking?

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Post some pics of your rig.

There are a lot more current pics of the progress in the build link in my above post.

also try not to insert the tubing all the way flush to the top. take a smaller bite, then raise it up it as it forms. the flaring cone is an eccentric. you're sure it's rotating and not sticking?
                You know, I'm not really sure if it's sticking or not. I'll check that when I do the next one.

Comment

Juiced up Vehicross? Looks Fun!

J.C.

Comment

Was a marine crew chief SH 34J 1960s. Gas , You Probably never saw one I wear 2 hearing aides to prove it !
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The couple of times I've flared stainless I had better luck cutting it with a hack saw than a cutter,even if I reamed it really good and a little heat.I was only doing brake lines tho,smaller than what you have.
                      Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

So I checked the flaring cone and it spun freely so no issues there. I was also using silicone spray lubricant to help it out too. I heated up the end to be flared till it wad orange hot, then let it slowly cool twice. Flares are looking a lot better now. I wouldn't say textbook perfect, but definitely close. Thank you guys so much for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                        X