X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ProPress!

Well I finally broke down and ordered a new RP-330B ProPress with jaws from 1/2" - 2", and the press snapping tool that works with it.

It seems like I'm doing more repair work in buildings that take a long time to drain. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it. )

I have to thank SewerRatz again for turning me onto Allen J Coleman Co.
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: New ProPress!

Would love to see some pics of the jobs you complete with your new tool!

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
      Well I finally broke down and ordered a new RP-330B ProPress with jaws from 1/2" - 2", and the press snapping tool that works with it.

It seems like I'm doing more repair work in buildings that take a long time to drain. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it. )

You are welcome. I bet Marvin or Kirk gave you a great deal on the unit. I know he gave me a good deal on a brand new in the box RP-100B unit. I was kicking around going with the RP-330C (corded) with the 1/2" to 2" jaws or the RP -100 that only went up to 1" Then I realized 98% of my work is 1/2" to 1" So for the other 2% I will just rent the bigger tool off of Allen J Coleman.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

It was Kirk. And it was as good a deal as I could find. Although there's an auction on ebay that ends tomorrow for a new 330B that likely will be cheaper. All in all though I think I prefer dealing with a reputable outfit like Coleman over someone in an auction. (Even if they have a 99.6% positive rating over 23,000+ sales.)

What a memory Kirk has!! From a conversation we had a couple months ago he recalled off the top of his head what we had discussed, and what I wanted to order. Scaaaaaary. We've never met. He only talked to me once before that over the phone about a Super Ro-Pump.

Speaking of which, the other day I opened a laundry tub for a guy in three minutes with my Ro-pump. He had tried acid, and, he claims, a snake. I could only bring myself to charge him $40 as I was already in the neighborhood and I need to sleep at night. I LOVE that thing, and would like to get a couple of backup units.

Comment

Back up units like the one I bout off of AJ Coleman thinking I got the last one?

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
            Back up units like the one I bout off of AJ Coleman thinking I got the last one?

Yeah, I already knew about that. Thanks for reminding me.

Actually, they sent me one after you got what they thought was the last one. The one I got was a display model that they found somewhere. (I got lucky)

Comment

Today I had my first opportunity to use the Propress soil pipe snapper. It would not cut the pipe. Turns out it isn't strong enough to cut 4" XH cast iron. That Ridgid would design a soil pipe snapper that won't snap XH is odd. I'm bumming.

In the Twin City area 99% of the soil pipe in residential is XH since the code dictated XH untill improved manufacturing provided decent SV weight soil. So the Propress soil pipe snapper won't provide much utility for this plumber.

I've used the Propress 330B on a couple of jobs now and it performs as expected. I'm very pleased with it.

Comment

Today I had my first opportunity to use the Propress soil pipe snapper. It would not cut the pipe. Turns out it isn't strong enough to cut 4" XH cast iron. That Ridgid would design a soil pipe snapper that won't snap XH is odd. I'm bumming.

In the Twin City area 99% of the soil pipe in residential is XH since the code dictated XH untill improved manufacturing provided decent SV weight soil. So the Propress soil pipe snapper won't provide much utility for this plumber.

I've used the Propress 330B on a couple of jobs now and it performs as expected. I'm very pleased with it.
                I wonder if you can run the cutter once, then loosen the chain and move it so the wheels are cutting another spot and run it again, and if the need to be a third time but on the third keep it tight and hit the pipe with a 3lb hammer. Kind of how you have to do Ductile Iron with the standard snap cutters.

Comment

do i have a cutter for you

it's a hydraulic wheeler rex that's a monster. should have no problem doing 4'' xh as it does 24'' the cutter wheels are the size of a silver dollar

i can probably swap with you. you pay postage for mine and i pay postage for yours

i'll wait for your call

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Ron, I have a nice Ridgid ratchet snapper that does just fine, and I can cut the pipe without doing the witch doctor dance you concocted. LOL I wouldn't advise using the press snapper on XH if it's not designed for it. I imagine some component will experience early failure. Who knows, maybe the hydraulics in the Propress tool itself.

Kirk at AJ Coleman has kindly agreed to let me return it, and buy some other toys... er tools.

Rick, as tempting as your offer is... I've never had to cut 24" cast. I think the largest I've ever cut was 12" when I was an apprentice. MANY moons ago.

I have a Wheeler snapper too. The standard sissors snapper. It works nicely when I'm on a job doing what I would call "production" type work.

Comment

Working...
                    X