Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pipe straighting dent or wrinkle removal?

I have a 10" light pipe, manual say 14 gage steel,

at a brace that is welded on the tube/pipe, the tube is dented/creased,

I see little in the way of pulling the dent out, the dent is about 1/2 deep, in and under the lower brackets on the auger tube where the cylinder for raising it is, if one wants to see the picture (the picture is only Representative not the actual auger but same model and if I took a picture you could hardly see the dents or crease but it is enough to make the unit inoperable,)

but at one time I saw for irrigation pipe, a tool that had shoes that were similar to the inside of the pipes diameter, and by a hydraulic cylinder they would expand undeinting aluminum irrigation pipes,

any one seen any thing like this or have any other ideas on removing some dents out of a 10" pipe? light weight gage,

this is a straighting process and the ID of the tube needs to be full size as another piece has to rotate in side of the tube,

to cut it apart and replace the dented place is not overly practical either,

any ideas?
    Attached Files
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: pipe straighting dent or wrinkle removal?

Could you find some 8" PVC?Split it.Use an expander,maybe a bladder type,inside.Then peen it out from the outside.

Comment

last week I did another auger straighting for the same fellow, (actually the augers belong to his brother),

and the one I worked on last week was 10" tube and about 10 gage, and the unit was bent a lot more than this one, and at the end of one of the tubes by the flange, where two of the tubes bolt together, I took my stubby 20 ton hydraulic jack and would jack it some and then heat with torch, and hammered, (actually that worked fairly well) but I could not stretch the wrinkles back out so the end of the tube was square, (it was bent about 10 degree angle in 6 inch's), so I ended up cutting off the end of the tube, and found another tube and welded on to it re squaring it up and put on a new flange),

this one is not bent as bad, but it has it problems where the frame is attached to the lower tube, and it just need to be re rounded, and of course is nearly in the middle of the tube, 8 feet in from one side, and about 12 from the bottom end, and can not work the jack in that far,

one Idea I did come up with was to take a hole saw and cut about 4" hole in the top of it so I could then reach in side and then drill holes in the tube and place bolts in the tube and then pull the dents out that way then weld patches over the holes, when done,

the augers in this size and length are about $12,000 new,
      most shops around here will not even try to fix a bent auger, most just say it is done,
      and our winds can take an auger over on it side in just a nao second at times,
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

$12,000
        Boy that will give any good farmboy an appetite for ingenuity

Comment

could you use sheet metal screws and a slide hammer to pull them out?
          add a little heat while pulling and then weld up the screw hole.

Comment

Small slide hammer (automotive seal puller) or a dent puller might work to pull it out. Heat the pipe some to soften it should help. Don't need to get it red hot, but any amount of heat that gets the molecules moving more than ambient temp will help.

-OR-

Make a shoe or form to match the OD of the pipe from wood. Drill a small hole (3/8" or less) 180° from the dent and use a hard rod with a slightly rounded end to push/hammer the heated dent area out whilst the shoe is clamped to the OD of the pipe. Then close the 3/8 hole somehow (can't think of everything), maybe solder or braze the hole closed or braze a patch over the hole on the OD of the pipe.

drtyhands idea with the inflatable pipe plug is a good one and could work. A local plumbing supply or online you should be able to find a plug for not too much money, cheaper than a new $12K auger anyway. You could make up an extension hose so you can inflate/deflate to install and remove the plug.
            Last edited by Bob D.; 10-30-2010, 06:28 PM.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Makes me think of the old "hat stretchers" I've seen at the old school mens stores. You need you a heavy duty "hat stretcher" BHD!

J.C.

Comment

i was thinking the same thing with the dent puller and heat.

they make a dent puller that welds studs onto the base metal and connect to the slide hammer. a rosebud on the torch and you should have no problem pulling out the area.

i think you will need to make an od pipe to reinforce the lift point to prevent it in the future from bending.

16 gage is very lite.

an internal mandrel of that length would be custom made and it still would require proper heating to control the stretching.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Super...ht_2998wt_1165

Comment

Pull a log through it ?

Comment

Is there a brewery near You. About 30 Years ago I was doing the finish woodwork at anchor steam brewery [S.F.] for fritz maytag. He bought used copper round vats and a German copper Knocker took out the dents. Brewery s May have some names for You
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

How did you end up fixing this BHD?
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Currently this project is on hold, I hope to get to it here after the first of the year, he does not need the auger, as I fixed his other one but even if he did need it it would not be until July,

I have made a hydraulic powered wedge and will make a shoe out of wood that will nearly match the tube, and the top of the wedge which will do the pushing will have a metal cap, that I hope to work out the dents.

making the wood shoe so it would be able to be used on tubes from 4" to what ever, it has about 2 inch's of lift, If it works well I take a picture of it, if not I keep the idea to my self,

I had another project that had more importance to get finished before the end of the year,

~~~~~~~~~~~

no breweries near me, the nearest is 150 miles,
                          Last edited by BHD; 12-28-2010, 09:37 PM.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

How about a porta power clam shell wedge in an oak shoe. Use a long Hydro hose and use farmers tractor Hydraulics. You could have a new line of work in the farm belts.
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

that is similar to what I have made for the job, but used part I had on hand to make it, just have not used it,
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X