X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pro press question

This may be a dumb question but here it goes. If you have a bad press connection in say a elbow. Can you cut the elbow in the bend, heat up the fitting hot enough to melt the o-ring and pull that fitting off the pipe and press another fitting on in the same spot?

Re: pro press question

Doubtful.

I have a 1" 90 propressed onto a short piece of 1" type L. It was a mistake where I was prefabbing a couple of offsets to fit a pipe into an odd place in a plumbing chase going around a corner. I was 180 degrees off. (I was working upside down and backwards)

Sometime this weekend I'm planning on seeing if I can find a way to get that 90 off just for yucks. I'll let you know.
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

geno, the 90 can be rotated and re-pressed without an issue. anything more than 5 degrees requires re-pressing.

the o-ring is not the problem. it's the crimp that presents the pull off problem. melting the o-ring will just make it more difficult to accomplish anything.

if you really needed to remove a fitting, then you could use a dremel/ die grinder and attempt to slice the fitting deep enough to split it on 1 side and pry it open. not something that's easy to accomplish unless it's 100% necessary.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        geno, the 90 can be rotated and re-pressed without an issue. anything more than 5 degrees requires re-pressing.
        How would you rotate the fitting and/or pipe that's already been crimped? Say 10%? That doesn't seem feasible. Repressing an already pressed joint I know can be done.

if you really needed to remove a fitting, then you could use a dremel/ die grinder and attempt to slice the fitting deep enough to split it on 1 side and pry it open. not something that's easy to accomplish unless it's 100% necessary. rick.
        I'm going to try to remove the fitting so that I can be better prepared if the time comes when I may have to remove a fitting. The Dremel's a good idea and I carry one. ALthough I normally don't use it because it's slow. I was thinking of a 4" handgrinder. Or maybe a close quarters hacksaw longitudinally.

Comment

actually on the smaller fittings, it's pretty easy as long as you have leverage. don't destroy the fitting or pipe with a wrench. just use the pipe as a lever as long as it's not too short. if so, attach a larger od cheater pipe

of course there's always a sharkbite that self rotates

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

of course there's always a sharkbite that self rotates

rick.

Why doesn't cash acme have a tightening nut similar to a compression type nut to tighten the whole assembly so it can't rotate. It would add to the cost, but the fittings are expensive anyway so what's the difference to the market that would use them?

Comment

Good Morning Rick, just another question on pro-press, do you use them in the ground and do yo trust them. If yo do put them in the ground do yo wrap them with denso tape(wax impregnated wrap - denso is the trade name over here) or similar so that the dirt cant get to the crimp and o-ring area of the pipe joint

Comment

underground, outside of the structure is fine. under a concrete slab of a structure is not allowed. same as a copper joint.

no need to wrap the joint with 10 mill tape as the o-ring and pipe are already crimped tight. just make sure the joint is clean if you crimp while in the dirt

do i need to come on a field trip

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, you might6 have to wait till we get our A380s fixed. Dont want to see you swimming here with the sharks.

Seriously Rick I for one would appreciate your knowlege and expertise. I know things are different all over the world but the principles are similar. This would be a great place to bring youmg Phoebe. We could even find her an Akubra Hat to initiate her into the real Aussie way of life.

I must thank all on the forum again as I continually read new and interesting articles and ideas. You guys are more advanced in some areas which of course we will eventually catch up to in about 10yrs or so.

Comment

I can rotate a solder joint.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                      me to
                      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                        try that while it still has water in the joint. better yet, try that with the required water soulable flux and i guarantee you it will leak if you try to resolder the joint.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

try that while it still has water in the joint. better yet, try that with the required water soulable flux and i guarantee you it will leak if you try to resolder the joint.

rick.
                          your a party pooper
                          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

rick.
                            Try to remove the ProPress fitting and use the exact same spot. Dremel, dremel, dremel, please let this work....

Both can have their problems.

J.C.

Comment

no need to remove a pressed fitting as i've never had a leaker.

tell me you never had a leaker on a copper line especially with water present

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X