Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 degree framing square

hey guys,

i'm a union pipefitter out of colorado and was working a shutdown a few months ago and a co-worker pulled a full length 45 degree framing square out of the gangbox. never having seen one before i was excited. after asking him where he got it i was disappointed when he replied that it was a hand me down from his father. anyone that is familiar with pipefitting can attest to how big of a pain in the *** it is squaring up large 45 degree fittings by yourself. if anyone knows where i could find one it would be much appreciated. i have looked all over the internet and have yet to find anything. thanks again.

Re: 45 degree framing square

I have fabricated my own adjustable compass out of two 18" pieces of aluminum flatstock with a 1/4" carriage bolt and wingnut.Use it for snapping out layout on big subterranian jobs.My marks are still in the parking garage on Sunset Blvd. in Hollywierd.Measure the inside of the two ends for an exact 45 degree angle,write that number on your new tool.I keep it adjustable so I can do 22.5 and 60 degrees.

Show that off to you old timer buddies.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by drtyhands; 12-31-2010, 11:28 PM.

Comment

sumner multi square

Comment

Got Em all" Hinze 57 " ring a bell fitter ?
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

"Got em all 'hinze 57' ring a bell fitter?"

not ringing a bell. am i missin something here.

drtyhnds- great idea, i like it and may end up doin just that if i can't find one. im young and just turned out of my five year apprenticeship six months ago so theres alot i still have to see and learn. i enjoy seeing some good improvising. i especially like being able to use it for 22 1/2 fittings. nice thing is you could make it as long as youd like or need. i worked with an old navajo plumber up in telluride one winter and he had a homemade tool box packed with nothing but homemade and modified tools. some pretty cool stuff in that box.

Comment

I made an adjustable one (well about 6 of them all different sizes) out of stainless flat bar. Fitting and welding big pipe by your self is more than a one man job.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
              I made an adjustable one (well about 6 of them all different sizes) out of stainless flat bar. Fitting and welding big pipe by your self is more than a one man job.
              See just like that.
              Why buy one when you can make a better quality,more personalized one,to more fit your needs.

For less money!!!

Comment

This looks promising.
                http://www.eldreds.com/sales/detail.php?itemID=105805

How about a patent search?
                http://www.google.com/patents/about?...+layout+square

Comment

Any fab shop should have CNC plasma table. At that point they can cut you just about anything.

Comment

Fitter ,welder taught Me this, and I used it a lot.
                    drive a nail in a full sheet of plywood bottom edge center up 1/2".
                    Now hook your tape end in nail head which is up 1/8" off plywood At 28 1/2" pencil in a 57" diameter 1/2 circle. Mark off every " and
                    each inch is one degree. This was 25 Years ago, hope I got it right
                    Tozz will know.
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      Fitter ,welder taught Me this, and I used it a lot.
                      drive a nail in a full sheet of plywood bottom edge center up 1/2".
                      Now hook your tape end in nail head which is up 1/8" off plywood At 28 1/2" pencil in a 57" diameter 1/2 circle. Mark off every " and
                      each inch is one degree. This was 25 Years ago, hope I got it right
                      Tozz will know.
                      IF I am figuring correctly ever 1" would equal 2 (two) degrees, ever 1/2" a degree,

57 X 3.14 = 178.9

360 / 3.14 = 114.54 diameter for 1" a degree

180 / 3.14 = 57.32 /2 = 28.66 is nearly exact which would be close to 28 5/8"

thank you very much tho, I had never thought of making a king sized protractor,
                      Last edited by BHD; 01-01-2011, 04:08 PM.
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Here's a design for aligning a weld neck or slip on flange thats pretty simple. 2" wide out of 1/8" plate all the way round and on a CNC table it's perfectly square.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Swanson square has an adjustable square,
                          http://www.swansontoolco.com/t001wz.cfm

they also have a magnetic speed square, and in the speed square type they do have a 12" but it is not magnetic.
                          http://www.swansontoolco.com/s0114.cfm

pictures and a PDF below of the three products,
                          more info here,
                          http://www.swansontoolco.com/t001wz.cfm
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by BHD; 01-01-2011, 04:31 PM.
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                          X