X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threading stainless steel

Men I have threaded black iron and gal for the better part of my life,but we all must learn something new from time to time. I had one of my large customers ask me if I could thread stainless today and I told home yes but I would have to obtain some different dies. I know that you have to use stainless dies but what are and other differences or tricks? Thanks in advance for y'all info and help

Re: Threading stainless steel

We thread quite a bit of stainless in our shop. The things we have found that work well are to make sure to use dies made for stainless steel (but you already knew that), use oil designed for stainless (we use Ridgid Extreme Perfomance it used to be call Stainless cutting oil), and we also keep the dies seperate and only use them on stainless. I don't know if you need to keep the dies for stainless use only but it has always worked well for us.

Let us know if you have any quetions,
    http://www.tradetoolsupply.com

Comment

Put SS dies in your threader, you can't go balls out on SS you need to bump the machine, and get a good cutting oil formulated for SS.

Comment

Slow it down to 12 rpm if You can or pulse the pedal,grind off the nastys on the end after threading and wire wheel if there i are any feathers or hair left after cutting,counter-clockwise.

Comment

Originally posted by paul_02blue View Post
          I don't know if you need to keep the dies for stainless use only but it has always worked well for us.

If the same dies are used on black pipe and stainless pipe you will get cross contamination which can cause corrosion. Therefore, a separate set of dies should be used on each pipe material.

Comment

Working...
          X