Is this the end of Pipe Threading?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the end of Pipe Threading?

Just seen this in a trade magazine today. Its called FastLock which is a complete line of malleable iron press fittings for Schedule 10 - 40 black and galvanized steel pipe. http://www.cimberiovalve.com/documents/fastlock.html

Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Re: Is this the end of Pipe Threading?

ron, as we know the fire sprinkler industry has been using thread less steel connections for the better part of a century. victaulic fittings that use both a groove and no groove have been used with great success. same goes for vic copper.

stainless press fittings are also around but a little pricey.

i would think this system will be like what propress is to copper.

most won't anty up the money to get into it, while others who already have the tool, will buy the jaws and use it.

i'm on the fence right now as i'm not sure if my suppliers will stock the product.

rick.
    thanks for the link.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I wonder if they are going to start making ProPress drainage fittings next.
      Ron's Facebook

Comment

Who knows..Pretty soon you won't be able to do plumbing work without one looks like ...Propress everything I guess
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Carry just one tool and how many jaws? Lets see six for copper, six for pex, six for iron pipe, what else?

Comment

Seems like those fittings would be really expensive/overpriced. Anyone have any idea on what fittings would go for?
            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
              Just seen this in a trade magazine today. Its called FastLock which is a complete line of malleable iron press fittings for Schedule 10 - 40 black and galvanized steel pipe. http://www.cimberiovalve.com/documents/fastlock.html

Bueno!!!!
              Now my boss is going to save enough money to bring my three cousins and their families over to learn his plumbing.

Comment

Is this the end of Pipe Threading?
                most likely the same thing was said...

when copper and solder came in to regular use, and flared ends,

and then came the Ridgid plastics,

and then came the flexible plastics,

I think it may have been asked about shark bites as well,

and I am sure there have been many other products that have come and gone, that were the new cure all and solve all for the industry,

yes it most likely will still cut into some of the market of threading pipe, just like the other process have, but pipe threading is still a necessary skill and need,

my guess is the need to have and be able to thread pipe will be around for many years yet,

or it would have all ready been totally phased out. (and in some instances it is considered obsolete),
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  Bueno!!!!
                  Now my boss is going to save enough money to bring my three cousins and their families over to learn his plumbing.

Yep that's about it..God help us all !

Comment

For new construction....pretty much yes. The ProPress G system has been around for several years.

Copper is approved for Natural Gas.

Just dump Amigo in there and press, press, press, test....Voila!

Don't think it's good, but it is what it is.

And there are many systems out there that we haven't even seen yet.

http://www.geberit.co.uk/geberit/ine...20Brochure.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQL8b1T3iMY

J.C.

Comment

WOW ! There seems to be new systems out there every day. I was trying to explain to a buddy of mine about the propress fittings for steel..He only believes in cutting and threading.. says propress is garbage etc etc..He isn't even comfortable using csst .. When I was doing trac housing we were running miles of cpvc and wardflex..All he did was bash and bash about what garbage we were putting in blah blah blah..Eventually he saw the light on cpvc.. That took him years though..All he does is high end remodels .."L" copper and black t&c steel or nothing ..Told him pretty soon his boss would not be able to compete with other companies that offer a more affordable way to get the job done..They are still busy though..There is a difference between doing high end and production though...

Comment

No. the cost of these fittings will limit there use.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean13 View Post
                          No. the cost of these fittings will limit there use.
                          Dean the time these Iron fittings would save would make up for their cost. It defiantly takes longer to cut ream and thread a pipe verses just cutting reaming and pressing.
                          Ron's Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                            Dean the time these Iron fittings would save would make up for their cost. It defiantly takes longer to cut ream and thread a pipe verses just cutting reaming and pressing.
                            Especially when your only paying the guy $45.00-$85.00 a day.

Comment

"What applications can FASTLOCK™ fittings be used for?
                              Applications include water, HVAC, and compressed air."

The fittings are not approved for Natural / LP Gas.....

Comment

Working...
                              X