new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Re: Threading problems

Cheaper than a come back for a leak

Comment

Originally posted by jimbob77 View Post
        Does anyone know of the highest quality pipe out there? I have used Wheatland, Eddypipe, Dyna-Thread, Hickman, and a few others I can even recall. What brands are most common and what's the best? Although I am starting to think the highest quality pipe is the most difficult to deal with.
        Jimbo,

At this point the writing is on the pipe. If domestic producers continue to provide essentially unusable product you have no choice but to at least try product from a different barrel. Lost market share will definitely get their attention like nothing else. You owe it to yourself to try using imported steel. It will be very interesting to see the result.
        Last edited by geno gardner; 02-23-2011, 07:32 AM.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Have you tried the Ridgid extreme performance threading oil? I have seen this issue a number of times and most people will change dies, and pipe but the oil you use is just as important and I would say half of the time switching to a slightly more expensive and higher viscosity extreme performance Ridgid oil has done the trick. I would say it's worth a try.

Comment

I don't know what brand pipe we use but it is domestic. We were hand threading 2 inch (with a 12r ratchet) black iron a couple of weeks ago and the threads would break off in the middle of the threads. I have some more to do next week. I will see how it goes and try to report back.

Comment

Die holder may be worn-out,are You using dies for SS?
              Out of round pipe will make some uneven threads but should not tear the work.Keep Us informed on this.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
                I don't know what brand pipe we use but it is domestic. We were hand threading 2 inch (with a 12r ratchet) black iron a couple of weeks ago and the threads would break off in the middle of the threads. I have some more to do next week. I will see how it goes and try to report back.
                Well put in 84 ft of 2" black pipe last week without any problems. I guess we got some better pipe. All went together real good and no leaks.

Comment

New to the forum here, but I have run into this many many times. There are a few things that you can do, depending on that machine you are running. I may have missed what machine you have. In most of my cases, I found that it wasn't always the pipe manufacturer, but the shipping and unloading methods. Some of the pipe we get, rides a long way, and is often thrown off of the truck at the supply house (you know you have seen it!), then dragged around by a forklift. It can end up with a flat spot. I used to take a huge crescent and run it up and down the pipe a inch or two before threading. The other thing I found was to let my machine head have a little play. If you are a union shop, they may frown on the crescent use, but it worked every time. If you are ripping the threads out, then you may have a rough spot in the carriage. This is especially common on old 535 machines. Good luck.
                  "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Working...
                  X