X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threading problems

Has anyone been having problems threading pipe lately? For the last few years my fab shop has had many issues with ripping and dull looking threads. I have tried everything. New dies, new die heads, and even new machines. We purchased a brand new 1224 and 535 and it hasn't helped. I have fabbed and welded sprinkler pipe for 12 years and never had any issues like this. We have also tried three different brands of pipe. Could it be that the pipe isn't made the way it was years ago???
    Gotta go, I'm late for the weekly pig screwin'!!

Re: Threading problems

Originally posted by jimbob77 View Post
    Has anyone been having problems threading pipe lately? For the last few years my fab shop has had many issues with ripping and dull looking threads. I have tried everything. New dies, new die heads, and even new machines. We purchased a brand new 1224 and 535 and it hasn't helped. I have fabbed and welded sprinkler pipe for 12 years and never had any issues like this. We have also tried three different brands of pipe. Could it be that the pipe isn't made the way it was years ago???
    Definitely. Try Wheatland. And try new Ridgid oil for the application.

https://www.wheatland.com/

J.C.

Comment

Made in china perhaps?

Comment

No china junk. All domestic pipe. Actually Wheatland has been giving us the most problems. We even sent some short pieces back to the Wheatland mill and they weren't even able to thread it on their own machines. Eddypipe has been giving us problems but not as bad. I have had the best luck with Hickman pipe and that is the cheapest pipe we have ever used. I just don't get it. The high dollar pipe isn't giving me the results it used to. I am wondering if too much recycled metal is finding its way into the pipe. Something has definately changed and it's driving me nuts! We have also tried Ridgid black and NuClear but that didn't cure it either. The fitters in the field aren't complaining about leaks due to the threads but I just don't like sending out pipe like that. I spend too much time recutting and threading lines until I get threads I can live with.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbob77 View Post
          No china junk. All domestic pipe. Actually Wheatland has been giving us the most problems. We even sent some short pieces back to the Wheatland mill and they weren't even able to thread it on their own machines. Eddypipe has been giving us problems but not as bad. I have had the best luck with Hickman pipe and that is the cheapest pipe we have ever used. I just don't get it. The high dollar pipe isn't giving me the results it used to. I am wondering if too much recycled metal is finding its way into the pipe. Something has definately changed and it's driving me nuts! We have also tried Ridgid black and NuClear but that didn't cure it either. The fitters in the field aren't complaining about leaks due to the threads but I just don't like sending out pipe like that. I spend too much time recutting and threading lines until I get threads I can live with.
          That points a strong hand towards the material & not the threader, dies, oil, or the people doing the work.

J.C.

Comment

if the manufacturer can't thread it, how do they expect us to thread it

is this 1''-2'' pipe?

my buddy doesn't even thread with a threader anymore. he uses his cnc lathe to single point the threads. about 16 passes and it's perfect.

not practical for the field guys, but a fab shop might be worth looking into a used cnc machine.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Yes, 1"-2". It seems like the smaller the worse it is. The majority of the pipe we thread is 1"-1 1/2". Our two inch is mainly used for drains.

Comment

Does anyone know of the highest quality pipe out there? I have used Wheatland, Eddypipe, Dyna-Thread, Hickman, and a few others I can even recall. What brands are most common and what's the best? Although I am starting to think the highest quality pipe is the most difficult to deal with.

Comment

I don't. You are above me in knowledge & experience in threading. I should have stayed out of this thread.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks for the compliment. That's the first time I've ever heard anyone tell me that.

Comment

Keep us posted. I'd be interested to see what comes of this.
                      Last edited by spoon; 01-23-2011, 01:29 AM.

Comment

As a sprinkler fitter , I thread a LOT of pipe, as I'm sure you know. I haven't been having any issues with the Wheatland, or Allied pipe. We do, however, have a lot of issues with the cheap pipe from over seas. I have received pipe that came from Oman that was impossible to thread, due to the OD variance from one piece to another. Any thing that I can think of to correct your problem has already been addressed by the other post. I'm interested to see what comes of this.

I'm very happy to hear of folks in the fab shop who don't wanna settle for sending out crappy threads, it makes a huge difference to us that install it.
                        Last edited by bml; 01-23-2011, 11:44 AM.

Comment

I warned the fitters about our issues and all we could do is give it a try. They haven't had any leaks due to the threads, but that may be due to the anaerobic dope we use. That stuff will stop anything from passing. I forgot about Allied pipe. We used to use that years ago and it was fine then, of course all of it was fine then.

Comment

Another tip that I have learned is to make sure the allen heads on the back of the die head are tight. Real tight! A standard allen wrench won't do it. Take a 3/8 or even 1/2 inch ratchet with an allen attachment to really crank them down. It seems to make a difference.

I made over fifty nipples today and didn't have one bad thread. Last friday I barely had one thread worth saving. I used the same brand of 1" pipe BUT it was from a different bundle. That really makes me think it's in the pipe. It's a gamble. BEWARE!!!

Comment

We have had similar problems in our shop. From what we have found it is the pipe. It has been out of round, hard spots (from too much junk metal) or some mistery.

The only things we have found that seem to help are to use the best threading oil you can get, try a slow speed, and we have even resorted to using a 12R head to thread the pipe in the machine. Sounds a little strange but it has worked several times when nothing else would.

Paul from,
                              Trade Tool

Comment

Working...
                              X