Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Switching to Pex

Originally posted by mpm View Post
    Yeah well when you live in the middle of the ocean (Hawaii is the most isolated place on earth) things get a bit more pricey. Just ask Rick when he was going to ship some XL press rings to me via UPS... I told him it would be about $150 he didn't believe me...
    yeah but i figured out how to get them to you insured for under $20.00

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Just buy garden hose and hang it up from the rafters with oak string,.. it's the same stuff.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Thanks for all the positive input guys... Kinda like what Tyman called "plumber stabin".
        Last edited by mpm; 02-03-2011, 10:36 PM.
        Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
        Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
          Just buy garden hose and hang it up from the rafters with oak string,.. it's the same stuff.
          And probably lasts longer No stabbin'..Just a lil' fun jabbin' ..
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thanks for all the positive input guys... Kinda like what Tyman called "plumber stabin".
            I think you receive criticism because, at least to me, it appears that there was no effort given towards the appearance and efficiency of how you ran things.

Just hook it up and slam it in.

At the same time, we're not on the job.

Is that not a 3/4" hot line coming across horizontally? Couldn't you have sweated in a T right there in the same stud bay and had things look neater and more efficient? Could have eliminated that stud notch. (If it wasn't already there of course.)

You could have turned the overhead shower connection around at an angle picking up the supply. More efficient and neater again.

Just my opinions. I'm sure someone is out there right now looking at something I've done and thought..."What the he!! was he thinking?!?!"

Sometimes I do it.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              I think you receive criticism because, at least to me, it appears that there was no effort given towards the appearance and efficiency of how you ran things.

Just hook it up and slam it in.

At the same time, we're not on the job.

Is that not a 3/4" hot line coming across horizontally? Couldn't you have sweated in a T right there in the same stud bay and had things look neater and more efficient? Could have eliminated that stud notch. (If it wasn't already there of course.)

You could have turned the overhead shower connection around at an angle picking up the supply. More efficient and neater again.

Just my opinions. I'm sure someone is out there right now looking at something I've done and thought..."What the he!! was he thinking?!?!"

Sometimes I do it.

J.C.
              Thanks J.C.! This is exactly what I was looking for, constructive criticism. That was the reason I posted these pics, it was more like, "Hey guys, I've never run this stuff before, I only know that I am supposed to bow the pipe, is this right?" The reason I come to this forum is for answers (and to give some when I can) not for "" or "". I love this forum, most of you guys are great and offer great advice. If it wasn't for this forum I would have never owned a K-60, had a Ridgid rep give me great help when I had a problem with my Micro Reel, or gotten a great deal on a set of press rings that I know where well taken care of.

To answer your questions yes that was a 3/4" line but it was butted up tight against the sheet rock, and yes that notch in the stud was already there. I drill 1-3/8" holes through studs normally but this particular stud looked like it did not need another hole through it so I used the notch. I could have turned that D.E. 90 around but when I did it seemed like the bow on the pipe was too much and would kink the pipe so I turned it the other way and looped it around.

I actually took over this remodel as a favor for a contractor I do a lot of work for. I lost the bid on this one then the cheaper guy bailed and never came back. The contractor asked me if I could do this one shower for him cheaper than I usually do it as a favor. This guy has given me a lot of work so I said sure. The cheaper plumber had a hot and cold tees cut in with stub outs in them so I used those. You're right I did this very quick, in and out. They wanted it done cheap so they got PEX.

You are very right, there are times where I have done something and gone "why the hell did I do it like that, that was dumb". But I try to learn from those mistakes.

Thanks again JC.
              Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
              Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Thanks J.C.! This is exactly what I was looking for, constructive criticism. That was the reason I posted these pics, it was more like, "Hey guys, I've never run this stuff before, I only know that I am supposed to bow the pipe, is this right?" The reason I come to this forum is for answers (and to give some when I can) not for "" or "". I love this forum, most of you guys are great and offer great advice. If it wasn't for this forum I would have never owned a K-60, had a Ridgid rep give me great help when I had a problem with my Micro Reel, or gotten a great deal on a set of press rings that I know where well taken care of.

To answer your questions yes that was a 3/4" line but it was butted up tight against the sheet rock, and yes that notch in the stud was already there. I drill 1-3/8" holes through studs normally but this particular stud looked like it did not need another hole through it so I used the notch. I could have turned that D.E. 90 around but when I did it seemed like the bow on the pipe was too much and would kink the pipe so I turned it the other way and looped it around.

I actually took over this remodel as a favor for a contractor I do a lot of work for. I lost the bid on this one then the cheaper guy bailed and never came back. The contractor asked me if I could do this one shower for him cheaper than I usually do it as a favor. This guy has given me a lot of work so I said sure. The cheaper plumber had a hot and cold tees cut in with stub outs in them so I used those. You're right I did this very quick, in and out. They wanted it done cheap so they got PEX.

You are very right, there are times where I have done something and gone "why the hell did I do it like that, that was dumb". But I try to learn from those mistakes.

Thanks again JC.
                Here is some good advice. When a contractor gives a job to another plumber and then that plumber doesn't finish,charge him your normal rate at least to finish the job and dont use twice as much pipe to avoid using a fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                  Here is some good advice. When a contractor gives a job to another plumber and then that plumber doesn't finish,charge him your normal rate at least to finish the job and dont use twice as much pipe to avoid using a fitting.
                  And if the original plumber bails it's usually for a reason. Maybe the contractor is a deadbeat and didn't pay him. Personally I would charge him double my rates just because he didn't hire me off the bat. I hate window shoppers..Sorry I did not offer more constructive criticism ..Pex is NOT my thing period...Wasn't plumber stabbin' again just a little jabbin' Aloha
                  Last edited by OLD1; 02-04-2011, 11:48 PM.
                  ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

mpm, that'll teach ya not to post your work.

When I seen the pictures you posted, I started laughing because I knew what was coming. You're a brave man.

I started using pex about four years ago. Most of the time I am extremely embarrassed to use it. What's even more embarrassing is that my boss calls me the "pex expert".

Time will tell on pex. The thing you have to watch out for is volume. This really comes into play when your run a tankless back to back.

Secondly, you never want to run pex to the tub spout especially on on Delta valves. You will have issues with the shower head dripping while using the tub spout.

Of all the failures I fixed it has been fitting failures. They are pushing plastic fittings on me now, so far I won't use them except for caps which is a temporary thing.

I have had one mouse eat one. Tasty and refreshing.
                    Last edited by Tyman; 02-06-2011, 11:00 AM.
                    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

same here, I won't post pictures of my work, mostly because it's never as good as I know I Could have done.

I might post pics when I redo my own home, but I wont be working around another trade's BS.
                      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I'l post pics. These people who claim they run everything perfect are either lying or not making any money....probably both.

This is a business not a hobby.

Comment

All of my lines regardless of what material I'm using are run square and plumb regardless. If a 90 degree bend is necessary it is used. No reason to run piping like limp spaghetti. Let's take a little pride in our work regardless of what type of piping we are installing. Do things that would make the plumbers before you proud and set an example for the plumbers that will follow you.
                          Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

m. looks good to me. i do a lot of repairs. my stuff would look like yours. average income here is $36.471.00. that is the reason i started using pex. going to do a total bath remo shortly it will pex. it amazes me how some people learned to wear shoes. i've grown to like pex. i do have one complaint though it appears that you have lay down or stand on you head to use the shower. lol. breid....................

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                              supports have to be put in more frequently 27" comes to mind, but It could be a little wider than that, and yes, it can be installed almost like a copper system. the trick to pex is to make it look the way you'd strangle an apprentice for running copper. If you can bow the pipe do so. don't use 90's unless you actually need them. Pex expands and contracts a lot, so that bowing gives the pipe a direction to expand.

Protect the pipe from UV light and paint. You may also find it beneficial to upsize slightly on main runs.

LOL
                              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I found this guide from Zurn useful.
                                http://www.zurn.com/operations/pexrh...sApplGuide.pdf

First 8 pages or so are about tools, but later on it has a section talking specifically about expansion rates and how much slack to leave in a run. It also has plenty of illustrations.

Comment

Working...
                                X