Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching to Pex

Well, it looks like copper prices are rising again:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...rgan-says.html

I have been debating buying the pureflow jaws for a while. I have always liked copper, its stronger, looks neater when run (as long as you know what you're doing) and I am comfortable working with it.

My copper prices have already gone sky high ($1.15 per foot for 1/2" M ) in the last year or so.

But now that the housing gold rush is gone and the market is much more competitive when bidding on new construction projects or renovations, over head costs must also come down.

I bought some pureflow jaws from my wholesaler and got as much information as I could. I wont use maniblocs because those stupid keys break all the time. But I have been told you can run it like you would copper.

Anyone use pex a lot and have any helpful hints for a guy switching over?
    Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
    Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Re: Switching to Pex

supports have to be put in more frequently 27" comes to mind, but It could be a little wider than that, and yes, it can be installed almost like a copper system. the trick to pex is to make it look the way you'd strangle an apprentice for running copper. If you can bow the pipe do so. don't use 90's unless you actually need them. Pex expands and contracts a lot, so that bowing gives the pipe a direction to expand.

Protect the pipe from UV light and paint. You may also find it beneficial to upsize slightly on main runs.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

"don't use 90's unless you actually need them. Pex expands and contracts a lot, so that bowing gives the pipe a direction to expand."

I agree about the 90's to certain point. Many people take advantage of pex by looping and bowing in every situation which causes it to kink in some instances and it looks horrible. But on the other hand if someone uses to many unnecessary 90's it causes pressure issures due the fact that pex fittings go inside the pipe....unlike copper.

Comment

My first job with pex. I thought I would start small... one shower valve.
        Attached Files
        Ray

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Originally posted by mpm View Post
          My first job with pex. I thought I would start small... one shower valve.

Comment

Sorry
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

what's wrong with 90s?

Comment

the fittings already restrict the flow, the 90's do so even more. One of the biggest benefits of using pex over other materials is the flexibility. fewer fittings = less labor. You also dont want a 90 butted up against a joist, again, due to expansion. You curve the pipe, it gives it a direction to expand to.

Yes, it looks like ***, it's pex.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I couldn't do it .. I need some enjoyment in my work

Comment

Remember, every time you use PEX, a Unicorn dies

Comment

I like pex but I would worry all the bending would stress the joint.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                        the fittings already restrict the flow, the 90's do so even more. One of the biggest benefits of using pex over other materials is the flexibility. fewer fittings = less labor. You also dont want a 90 butted up against a joist, again, due to expansion. You curve the pipe, it gives it a direction to expand to.

Yes, it looks like ***, it's pex.
                        You can go to extremes with not using fittings as the pic in this thread shows.

Comment

Yeah it looks like crap, I know...

I like working with copper and I love the way it looks when run well but fact is 20' of 1/2" pex is $8 whereas 20' of 1/2" m is $24.39.
                          Ray

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

20' of 1/2" pex is $5.50 for me

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                              20' of 1/2" pex is $5.50 for me
                              Yeah well when you live in the middle of the ocean (Hawaii is the most isolated place on earth) things get a bit more pricey. Just ask Rick when he was going to ship some XL press rings to me via UPS... I told him it would be about $150 he didn't believe me...
                              Ray

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

Working...
                              X