X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 300 w/out Foot Switch

I have read several posts warning of using the Ridgid 300 without a foot switch. I was taught to use this machine using the forward & reverse switch - Maybe the foot switch had been lost on a previous job.

Can you explain why the foot switch is needed for threading pipe? Also, Ridgid recommends not using the 2-S spiral reamer for use with the 300: Again, a safety issue?

Thanks for your help - a new member -

Jim Q.

Re: Ridgid 300 w/out Foot Switch

old school machines never had a foot control. then i believe the cpsc/ consumer product safety commission or osha along with some law suits probably forced all manufactures into providing foot safety switches,

the foot safety switch is considered a dead mans disconnect.

depending on how old your 300 is, you might be entitled to a free one. if it never came with one, ridgid will send you one if you have the serial # and it's never been registered as having one.

the spiral reamer is designed for manual hand threaders. the problem, with an electric machine and a spiral reamer is that it's designed to dig/ thread into the pipe. this is bad on an electric machine, good on a manual threader.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick is right (dare I say it?...as usual).

Having to reach over to shut off the machine using the handswitch is dangerous. That extra second or two could be disasterous if your shirt sleeve say was caught up in there.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

all non hand held machines made before 1/1/75 are eligible for a free foot switch.

here is ridgids safety notice.

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/B367374...footswitch.pdf

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I use a 300 daily, and I've run across several with no foot pedal, or with the pedal bypassed somehow. With the exception of the older models that didn't come with one in the first place, I really can't understand not having a foot pedal. Safety factors aside, it's a heck of a lot less wear on the 3 position switch when you use a foot pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            all non hand held machines made before 1/1/75 are eligible for a free foot switch.

here is ridgids safety notice.

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/B367374...footswitch.pdf

rick.
            I have an older 200 ..Does this cover parts , labor, etc??
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
              You can hook it up.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                it should cover the parts and it might not need anything other than a plug and play cord.

i think the only thing that limits you would be if the machine was already registered and had a foot switch sent out.

call the support line and have your serial # handy.

don't tell them i referred you

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  You can hook it up.

J.C.
                  Just wondering if I was suppose to take it in or do they send the foot switch..I'm pretty sure I can hook it up but what does Ridgid want us to do
                  ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Please get a footswitch put on your machines

The footswitch is an important safety feature.

We have heard of too many people being injured because they did not have a properly installed footswitch. Rick is correct that an older machine may qualify for a footswitch installed for free. You will need the serial number off of your machine.

Any Ridgid warranty repair center can do this for you. The first link below is for the Ridgid Service Center search page.
                    http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Technica...ices/index.htm

If you want we can help you or help you find someone close by who can.
                    http://www.tradetoolsupply.com/repair.html

Comment

Working...
                    X