Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe wrenches

what would you do
    i have a 18" and a 24" wrenches and they need new jaws ,would you save $60 and replace the jaws or get new wrenches ?
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Re: Pipe wrenches

I thought about retiring my 818 I've had for 20 some odd years and buying a new one. NOT ! I ended up getting an extra.

Comment

charlie, as you get older, the aluminum wrenches feel much nicer.

show the boss your propress photos and he'll spring for the new wrenches

i'll call him in the morning

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Same as Rick, if already aluminum, I would keep them and replace the jaws.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Geeze, I forgot they even made pipe wrenches that weren't aluminum. I probably bought the first pair or 14's ever made.
          Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

I was heaven when I got new Rigid 36" and 48" aluminum wrenches. Those old iron ones were so heavy they just about turned the fittings themselves!

Comment

If your wanting to redress the jaws, one can take a thin grinding wheel like is used for grinding chain saws and the like, put it on a bench type grinder, and take a dressing stone and dress the wheel to the shape of the teeth of the jaw and one can resharpen/dress them most of the time, and have like new performance.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                Geeze, I forgot they even made pipe wrenches that weren't aluminum. I probably bought the first pair or 14's ever made.
                I got a pair of 18s in '78. Were you earlier than that?
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I have a good collection of "new old wrenches" that I have collected at yard sales and flea markets, all cast iron. When one gets beat up I usually give it to some one who needs a wrench, and grab another one. When I start feeling a 24" wrench's pain over my head I am gonna get a set of aluminums. Till then brute force and ignorance it is.

Comment

My vote is with Rick and Gear Junkie...Aluminium all the way!!!
                    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

i have Aluminum now and i have taken a grinder to the jaws but they are beyond repair . the wrenches are over 23years
                      the boss said just get new ones but a 18 and 24 are mine so he would pay for new jaws for them or get new ones but they would be his .

i kind of like the used look .
                      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                        i have Aluminum now and i have taken a grinder to the jaws but they are beyond repair . the wrenches are over 23years
                        the boss said just get new ones but a 18 and 24 are mine so he would pay for new jaws for them or get new ones but they would be his .

i kind of like the used look .
                        Let him buy them and borrrow them when you need them.....if the old ones lasted 23 years the new ones prolly will too.....My advice is to spend the money on a women and some beer.....maybe a steak for the two of ya. Remember to use protection if its strange

Comment

I am the only dummy here that's never had Aluminum pipe wrenches?

Comment

Prolly..Only reason I still own steel wrenches are that most were picked up at yard sales, flea markets etc. for next to nothin' .All are ridgid though
                            Last edited by OLD1; 03-23-2011, 09:23 PM.
                            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                              I am the only dummy here that's never had Aluminum pipe wrenches?

Yeah, but we still love ya!!!
                              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Working...
                              X