X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welder

Recommendations for a smaller MIG welder that is versatile for many things. I have no specific criteria to give to help narrow recommendations. Sorry.

Just something that can cover several scenarios. Not a large professional rig but not a toy either.

Just want to teach myself some.

Lincoln?
    Hobart?
    Miller?

Others?
    Models?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Welder

Bump.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

I Like Hobarts, They where nice welders then Miller bought them out. They are still good they cost less then a Miller. A Miller would be my second choice. The only reason I don't like Lincoln's is because I never had good customer service from them. As for the model it matters if you will take it with you or will it stay at home? Try to buy on around the 175 size that uses 220. Or go bigger! Most people buy a 125 to start learning then switch up later just go bigger first and save some coin.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

120 volt is easy to plug in and take with you.

240 volt and you can weld some serious metal.

i have both for shop and portable. along with the tig and arc and plasma.

the 120 will work fine for your cable connections too.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

a number of years ago I bought my son a Hobart 140 MIG (I think it was this model) if not a for runner of it.
          FREE SHIPPING — Hobart Handler 140 MIG Welder — 115 Volt, 140 Amp, Model# 500500 | Wirefeed Welders | Northern Tool + Equipment
          we bought it through northern as they had a free shipping promotion at the time and actually got it cheaper than the welding shop could have bought it for (or that is what they said at the time),
          and he has used it a lot over the years,

Miller and Hobart, are owned the same group, (and it is my understanding that the miller is like the Cadillac and the Hobart is like the Chevy).
          Hobart 140 vs miller 140
          one other thing that was nice with the 140 is my 3400 watt generator was able to run it on 120 volts, and will run off a good extension cord, so there is some portability with it as well, we put a bottle on it but did run with flux core some as well, he has done a lot of projects with it, (and has worked as a professional welder for a number of years before it started to affect his health), and he thinks it is a good welder for it size and features.

I think if you keep in the name brands, (Lincoln, Hobart, Miller), they would all preform well,

wire feed welders do at times need some maintenance, tips and liners and feed rollers, so you may want to look around to see what brands are supported by your local sources and consider that as well.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

since my son now has his own place and shop I had to get a welder for portable use, so this is what I came up with,

The truck was given to me, it was more rust and looked like crap when I got it, (I repainted it in the shop) put a different bumper and grill guard on it, the bed was on it when I got it, (I did put a couple of receiver tubing sections in the bed so I can put different vices in the bed (one can see a pipe vice on it in the second picture), or other things, (for example: I have a wire roller that will set in the tubing in the bed as well for fence building),

and the welder I bought used for few hundred, (It is a nice welder just a lot of Hours on it), and the torch is one I had, bought the leads off of Ebay, not a bad rig for the money I put in ot it,
            Attached Files
            Last edited by BHD; 07-19-2011, 12:11 AM.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I grew up with lincoln stick welder. I have 2 hobart welders stick welder and mig 140. I use the stick welder for thicker metals. The 140 for thin material. If you use indoors,use the gas with the mig. You can not use gas outdoors in the wind.Thats where fluxcore wire comes in.Very versatile machine, easy to use.Hobart 140 is a welder you should have no problem learning to use. Check out welders forum for good advice if your just starting out.

Huck

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                since my son now has his own place and shop I had to get a welder for portable use, so this is what I came up with,

The truck was given to me, it was more rust and looked like crap when I got it, (I repainted it in the shop) put a different bumper and grill guard on it, the bed was on it when I got it, (I did put a couple of receiver tubing sections in the bed so I can put different vices in the bed (one can see a pipe vice on it in the second picture), or other things, (for example: I have a wire roller that will set in the tubing in the bed as well for fence building),

and the welder I bought used for few hundred, (It is a nice welder just a lot of Hours on it), and the torch is one I had, bought the leads off of Ebay, not a bad rig for the money I put in ot it,
                Nice,clean rig! There's a lot of wisdom here for Us all. You make a buck go a long way! Wise,thoughtful,moves,with great results! A lost art.
                Last edited by toolaholic; 07-19-2011, 09:01 PM.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I'm an x Union welder,still weld for Myself. Go 220volts miller elec. mig. Get a bottle of C-25 gas. I have a 210 millermatic and lots more. GO BIG BLUE ! wish You were closer
                  I'm a good teacher. sign up for night and Sat. classes at a Jr. college.
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    I'm an x Union welder,still weld for Myself. Go 220volts miller elec. mig. Get a bottle of C-25 gas. I have a 210 millermatic and lots more. GO BIG BLUE ! wish You were closer
                    I'm a good teacher. sign up for night and Sat. classes at a Jr. college.
                    When you coming home? I second buying a bigger machine, you can turn a big machine down, you can't turn a small machine up.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
                      When you coming home? I second buying a bigger machine, you can turn a big machine down, you can't turn a small machine up.
                      I may be home to take My Brother in law [ another Marine ,75] to the Nov. 10 th Marine Corps Birthday bash in Boston.

Comment

JC PM sent, but your box is full.

Comment

Lincoln PowerMIG 180 is my choice, and a Tomahawk 375 plasma cutter.
                          The 375 has its own air compressor, so its nice for portable work.

POWER MIG® 180 Dual MIG Welder

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...incolnElectric
                          Last edited by Bob D.; 07-22-2011, 03:58 PM.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
                            JC PM sent, but your box is full.
                            Deleted a couple.

Resend if you like.

Thanks

J.C.

Comment

Working...