X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you define good pipe thread?

How do you determine whether or not you have a good pipe thread? Do you guage the thread? Do you take a visual look, if so what attributes do you consider for a good thread versus a bad thread (tearing, crushing, short, long, under sized, over sized...)?

Re: How do you define good pipe thread?

I like to see sharp threads that aren't too choppy, with no burn marks, I usually check my thread depth with a new fitting (90 or tee) that I am using on job, for 1" to 2" pipe threads (these are the sizes I use most) I like to see 2 to 3 turns hand tight. Remember, the first 3 or 4 pipe threads do all of the sealing, all the rest of the threads aren't fully formed. After joint is tight, I like to see 3 or 4 threads still showing on the outside of joint. They do make thread gauges, but most field people don't use them. Sharp dies and a good quality oil go a long way. I have found too deep of threads cause almost all leaks that I encounter, too shallow, and the pipe is hard to get started into fitting.

Comment

How do you determine whether or not you have a good pipe thread?
      Basically, it's something you learn hands on, not in a book. AZsprinkies'
      description is on the mark, but there is more to it than that.

Someone looking over your shoulder once or twice after showing you
      how to do it properly is what's required. Then you spend the next 4 or
      5 days at the pipe machine as the JM calls out measurements to you
      and all you do is cut and thread.

Pretty soon you can do it in your sleep, or maybe you're having nightmares
      about threading pipe in your sleep, never figured out which.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

when you can thread it and catch a thread in 66 seconds, that's a good thread

see the 3:40 mark for an example

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Spaz

Comment

Nice. I guess my invitation got lost in the mail
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Ah man, that was such a fun trip! Great memories!

The food, the fun, the factory, Forum friends, first class airfare.....good times!..Thanks Ridgid!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

The food, the fun, the factory, Forum friends, first class airfare.....good times!..Thanks Ridgid!
                I kick myself in the A$$ every time I think about it and making the choice to not attend.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

first class air fare how did you pull that off

i didn't even get first class and i won the trip

time to start pushing for roundup #3

i'll let you snake the drain while i eat apple pie

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Domestic or junk Korean pipe.
                    Domestic:Three loose,Three tight,Three left(showing)
                    Junk pipe: three loose,2.5-3 tight,whatever left showing.

3/4" is really bad on junk pipe.You can feel the threads start to strip out at "taper match" if you do go past this point now one feels the tendancy to maul the threads to get the end of the taper(last three threads) to make the seal.

Comment

Thanks for all the great feedback regarding the criteria used to verify you have a good quality thread. I am sure there are more of you out there with something to add. Please post your criteria for defining a good pipe thread.

Comment

Approx 3 turns by hand is a good thread.

Comment

NPT- National Pipe Thread Taper- ANSI B1.20.1

In the field minimum threads if threading...pipe stops at the end of the die. Most people go up to two threads past. Unsure of the threader......take a factory threaded pipe end and run it into the threader. This is what is done after replacing the dies to set their depths before locking the jaws in place.

Import is fine if you don't need to make pieces. Domestic is headed there. I would rather spend extra and not fight it. Plus, its nice to put the money back into our economy.
                          AllurePlumbing.com
                          • leak detection
                          • drain cleaning
                          • utility locating
                          • conductor fault locating
                          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Yesterday was threading gas pipe. I was using my 690 power pony. and nu clear oil that was free with my ridgid oiler. The threads were horrific .I kept using my 3 ways to go over the threads.At one point while I was threading I heard a pop and thought I actually broke a die tooth.Everything is new. But the pipe did come from home depot.Hmmm I am thinking that was the issue. Bue even the pipe I was threading that came from ferguson was giving me issues.Trust me I dont skimp on the oiling and drench em while im threading .Was trying different oilint techniques, trying to oil through the die holes then straight on at the pipe and dies .A lot of the time the threads were burying up to the fitting .The system held a pressure test but I am still very uncomfortable with what was going on .I am thinking it is a combination of things .Running too many threads past the dies , the pipe itself etc..
                            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I hear you on the bad pipe, I needed some 1/4" pipe for grease lines on an excavator and the stuff I got must have been 30 years old. It threaded like a dream, old USA made stuff it sure was nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X