10" Spool Piece

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10" Spool Piece

A 10" spool on one of our pumps let go so I had to make a new one, 10" Sched 40, nothing fancy, the flow is 1600 GPM @ 110PSI.
    The parts

The set up

Next post

Re: 10" Spool Piece

6010 root

5/32 7018 at about 200 amps out

The slag just falls off

Done and painted

Comment

looks good. digging the flange bolt level.

is it typical to weld inside the flange?

i guess with pipe to pipe ends, you have no choice but beveling the pipe to allow for the root pass and full penetration.

glad to see 7018 is still the rod of choice on the final pass. sure lays down a nice bead and easy clean up.

does anyone attempt to mig the big stuff?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Weld the inside so the product dosent get in there and cause a problem, there are some procedures for hardwire MIG, but not widely accepted. If I had a good dual shield wire in this plant I would have used the MIG, but whatever 4.5 hrs from cut to finish, most of it welding.

Comment

Looks good. As far as welding the inside goes, I would imagine there is a substantial price difference between weld neck/slip on flanges?

Comment

I use whatever parts they supply, so it dosent matter what they cost. Rick, if you are gonna buy a flange level like that go with FlangeWizard, they are still made in the USA. Mine is a Curv-O-Mark, sadly made in china now.

Comment

I thought that was you over on weldingweb.com. It must be nice to just watch the slag practically fall off your welds. I dont know if its my skill level or just the cheap rods, maybe a combo of both.(lol) Hows the new truck working out for you? The deck on that thing looks more than useable.

Comment

The new truck

is working out great the crane and lift gate have saved my back so much. I don't know how I worked out of a pick up for almost 10 years.

Comment

Nice beads,I love 7018
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

nice work i like using slip on flanges so if things are not square you can make a little adjustment
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

We made the same stuff back in spain so the increased quality of your work is very apperant. Looks great.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

When You,re welding every day, You,re always in the zone ! For Me I need to run some beads on scrap to get dialed in!
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                        X