X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• propress rod cutter

came home to find my new 1/2'' propress all thread cutting jaws in the mail.

these are made by rems in germany, but will fit all the machines including the ridgid 320,330, 400 press tools.

the same jaws can be purchased in 3/8'' or i can swap the cutting inserts from 1/2'' to 3/8'' or visa versa.

didn't get a chance to try them tonight, but i already own the mechanical 3/8'' rod cutters and it's a burr free cut that you cut it and install. no filing or re-threading.

rick.

1/2'' cutter inserts can be swapped to 3/8'' if you don't want to buy the complete jaw head.

rems will fit all current machines.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 07-27-2011, 12:26 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: propress rod cutter

I could of used this 2 weeks ago when I was cutting all-thread.

I hate using a hacksaw.

Comment

I would be careful, those jaws voids the warranty on the press tool. Falls under the heading of misuse and abuse, I believe.

Comment

Nice ..That's sweet not having a hacksaw jumbing around on you.Even tried the ol' angle grinder a few times .Talk about looking like the 4th of July..I have hacksawed through enough to remember not to.Thank God my skin still grows back
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

for about the price of the jaws, you could go out and buy a porta-band/ bandsaw.

not only will the porta band cut rod like no tomorrow, but it will also cut old cast iron like butter. probably the 1 tool that gets the least credit. that actually has the most uses. it blows away a sawzall for speed and ease of use. problem is they don't always fit where you need to cut.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Yeah I think a sawzall has the most uses but those jaws are cool and if you had alot of rod to cut it sure would make it nice. I use a chop saw to cut rod and rebar but its not near as portable. Thats a nice addition to the propress and I also like those cast iron chain cutters they have.

Comment

Originally posted by marinerman View Post
              I would be careful, those jaws voids the warranty on the press tool. Falls under the heading of misuse and abuse, I believe.
              i believe they use less power to shear a 1/2'' rod than is required for large copper fittings. considering that the propress is designed to snap cast iron, and crimp 1/2''-4'' copper along with 2.5-4'' xl-xlc fittings, the amount of force to shear 1/2'' rod is a lot less.

my 400 can probably do it with no battery installed.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

FYI, posting this defeats the purpose of you coming home early to sneak them in the house before I see them!
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                  FYI, posting this defeats the purpose of you coming home early to sneak them in the house before I see them!
                  Surely you give him way too much credit.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

This is what I use to cut threaded rod the past 5 years and it doesn't take a $3000 machine to operate it

3/8" Threaded Rod Cutter with extra 2 Dies 5/16" & 1/4" - eBay (item 120755092104 end time Aug-02-11 05:37:21 PDT)

Comment

I think a portaband is best. PC's rod cutter is cool and looks like a good option also.
                      Quick to setup and a fast snap anad you are done. If you were cutting one rod with
                      a portaband you'd have to clamp it in the vise (or try to hand hold it yikes!).

With PCs rod cutter it looks must faster to make the cut start to finish.

But the jaws on the propress would be great when you need to make cuts in place.
                      Think about when you are in a ceiling or crawlspace or other tight space.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I just bought a porta band a short time ago. Rick lets his k-60 ride shotgun, that bandsaw rides shotgun with me.
                        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          This is what I use to cut threaded rod the past 5 years and it doesn't take a $3000 machine to operate it

3/8" Threaded Rod Cutter with extra 2 Dies 5/16" & 1/4" - eBay (item 120755092104 end time Aug-02-11 05:37:21 PDT)
                          looks like a knock off of the 3/8'' mcc tool i have. but for the price, it's a steal. i doubt it will last with ss rod though.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

Hmm...never knew this tool existed. Then again, I don't do that much all-thread either. Thanks for posting it though.

Comment

Looks like you have to touch up the threads after you cut the rod though..Doesn't that defeat the purpose ?
                              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X