ProPress not allowed in North Carolina without Permission

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ProPress not allowed in North Carolina without Permission

For all you North Carolina plumbers, are you using this for repairs? I have some 2" water lines with 4 stories above me to re-route, I will need to get special permission from City of Durham.

I openly used this tool in Los Angeles, kinda bummed its not allowed out here with special approvals
    Last edited by BizzyBeePlumbing,Inc.; 08-05-2011, 07:28 PM.
    Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Re: ProPress not allowed in North Carolina without Permission

I left NC before I really had an opportunity to use a propress, so it never really came up. I wonder if thats something the local authority decided for their locale, or if that's statewide.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
      I left NC before I really had an opportunity to use a propress, so it never really came up. I wonder if thats something the local authority decided for their locale, or if that's statewide.

It is my understanding that it is state wide.
      Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

Wonder why?
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I think this is a great subject.
          Here we have millions of unskilled monkeys that millions of greedy people want to profit off of so they lobby the powers to provide/approve monkey tools.

Some other entities are hanging on to protect the market from dumping like the big city cultures.

Robert...Why did you move to Cary NC again?
          Don't tell me you're going there to be the first guy there to hand a monkey tool to an illegal

AHHHH,who am I kidding.They more than likely approve of Pex.Now we have a canundrum don't we?

Comment

don't feel bad. beverly hills didn't approve csst. don't require low flow toilets on a sale of a home and don't require earthquake gas shut off valves. trenchless pipe bursting is a case by case scenario.

propress is allowed as the newest hotel in the city is all propress.

now getting permits and inspections in beverly hills is like winning the lottery

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Pex had been legal for install there in 2001 when I started Plumbing. No clue when it became code approved there.

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              AHHHH,who am I kidding.They more than likely approve of Pex.Now we have a canundrum don't we?
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                I think this is a great subject.
                Here we have millions of unskilled monkeys that millions of greedy people want to profit off of so they lobby the powers to provide/approve monkey tools.

Some other entities are hanging on to protect the market from dumping like the big city cultures.

Robert...Why did you move to Cary NC again?
                Don't tell me you're going there to be the first guy there to hand a monkey tool to an illegal

I was not looking at it as easy, I was looking at it as a way to reduce the shut down time of this multi story hotel we are supposed to re-route 2" water lines in. Im going to get it approved for this application, but I am bummed its not widely approved, I love using the tool on repairs and certain applications.

I hope Viega works with the state to get it done

Comment

There is a coming revolution in how we install water supply piping and Pro-Press will not be in consideration. As more contractors are only interested in cost, the price of copper and fittings has already out paced any cost savings due to time. I have two Pro-Press machines and have not used either one in the past year or so, they sit on the shelf collecting dust. None of the local supply houses are stocking a decent assortment of fittings so they have to be pre-ordered or bought online. I know I have ripped on this tool for quite some time now but I honestly feel like this was introduced at a time when copper is all but dead and burried, especially for residential work and for commercial work, it may save an hour or so but we never had any problems before Pro-press was introduced. For me, it's an expensive, gee-wiz ain't that cool tool that has limited use at best. I know rick will defend it to the death but that's just because he has about 20 of them and needs to justify ownership to keep Joey off his back
                  sigpic

Comment

everyone of my supply houses stock viega fittings. none of them rent a machine. i've already put the word out that i will rent it to them as i have 9 machines including the monster victaulic unit that does sprinkler work.

used mine yesterday on a water heater relocation with 3/4'' fittings in the cabinet base. allowed me to assemble everything and literally press it all together in a couple minutes. 9 fittings with no flame, flux, solder, heat, while water was still dripping.

the owner was impressed as she knew you can't solder with water.

as the jobs get more complicated, the propress simplifies and speeds up the project.

95% of my work is in occupied buildings. shutting off water is never a good thing, not knowing if fixtures are going to be left turned on, ballcocks might start running. but with propress, i can literally cut and assemble without waiting for water to drain. if need be i can freeze and press.

the newest, most expensive hotel in beverly hills is all propress. this project was in the works for a good 20 years trying to get the go ahead.

fittings are generally more expensive, but knowing where to buy and having an inventory of fittings that get used, is the reason i carry more propress than solder fittings. i stock up to 4'' and keep 1/2''-1'' on the truck. 1.25-4'' stays in the shop.

my copper victaulic fittings haven't seen daylight since i got propress close to 10 years ago.

ripped, no, just putting it in perspective.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I know this probably doesn't belong in this thread, but I paid $50.00 yesterday for 12 - 3/4 female adapters at the supply house. wtf!!

We always bought fittings by the boxes/bags....no more!

Comment

I can't find my book.

I think "Hydraulic Compression systems for potable water with ASME & ANSI blah blah blah....." is not directly addressed in the IPC. And if it is not directly addressed, then it is not approved by the state DOI. Remember, the code has little to do with the plumbing board in comparison to DOI.

So they then throw it back to each city, county, etc. as to whether they allow it or not.

Now for the monkey wrench in it all. The state DOI sets the minimum interpretation for the IPC, but allows ANY city, county, town...whatever to be able to require a "higher" standard. So the state DOI may only require Type M copper as minimum for residential potable water, but town A can require Type L, town B can require Type K, Town C can require Type L-but no ProPress.

Aggravating.

J.C.

Comment

Like I said. A few more years and copper will only be a memory
                          sigpic

Comment

Yep it will be Pex city..Spaghetti noodles running everywhere....You'll show up to do a repair and you'll need pex fittings, or cpvc fittings, or pro press stuff..etc.etc.etc...Gimme a break please No wonder why every other plumbing truck on the road looks like a semi
                            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thanks JC for the input. Dept of Insurance is worse then the city inspector out here. I am currently working in a hotel in Durham, absolutely no propress. I sweat a bunch of 3" yesterday. I am more worried about the 2" and smaller I have to re-route in the lobby and dining area. I guess old style, jet sweat and ball valves all over the place.

Comment

Working...
                              X