X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First Job Pics

You really should stock some press ball valves. My cost is about the same either way when you include the male adapters so I found it better to stock the ball valves.

I can't even remember the last time I made a solder joint and that's no lie. I'm now 100% ProPress and Pex.

Comment

I have a Rems for 1/2 - 1 and a Rothenberger for 1/2 - 2. Just used the Rems through a tiny space to replace a manifold under the back side of a jetted tub. Water was still dribbling out of one pipe. Did it all with one hand. The only thing I hate is when the previous plumbers didn't wipe the excess solder off and used 2 lbs for a 1/2 joint. Then I got to get the torch to clean it off. Propress to Uponor, Press and done. BRING ON THE MEGAPRESS (Natural Gas). Want to buy my Ridgid 300 Threader? Anyone? Anyone?
      "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Ridgid 37953 1/2" to 2" MegaPress Kit For Standard Ridgid Press Tools

Dang it! Finally found out how much the Megapress Jaws are going to cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post
          I have a Rems for 1/2 - 1 and a Rothenberger for 1/2 - 2. Just used the Rems through a tiny space to replace a manifold under the back side of a jetted tub.
          Which REMS tool do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            yes and no. 1/2-1'' is not too bad. 1.25 and up get pricey. but i do stock 1/2''-2''.

of course in a pinch a mip adapter is pretty fast or a cxc valve with a couple copper stubs and cxc press couplings are pretty cheap too.

there are a lot of brands of press valves and some use a set of double o-rings.

rick.

ps. who's the club president

Which brand ball valves do you guys prefer? The Supply house that has the biggest selection of Viega fittings by me carries Legend brand valves. Anyone use those? Do you guys stick to Viega exclusively, or have you tried old Nibco now some other brand name made in Poland ones? Anyone try the generic ones that Hodes and Wolverine carry?

I nominate Iron Ranger and Rick as Co-Presidents of the club.

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
            You really should stock some press ball valves. My cost is about the same either way when you include the male adapters so I found it better to stock the ball valves.

I can't even remember the last time I made a solder joint and that's no lie. I'm now 100% ProPress and Pex.
            I'm going to start. I didn't realize that the smaller valves were as cheap as they are.

Haven't had the guts to press in an area that will not have access (buried in drywall or ceiling)....but I'm getting there.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
              You're right that a press valve would have been easier. It was at Rick's suggestion that I decided not to stock valves. As I recall they are at least 1.5 as much as an IP valve. I don't foresee using press valves too often.
              but by the time you pay for 2 MIPs , a IP ball valve and the time to put it togather you paid for the valve
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbingbyjay View Post
                Ridgid 37953 1/2" to 2" MegaPress Kit For Standard Ridgid Press Tools

Dang it! Finally found out how much the Megapress Jaws are going to cost.
                thats not a bad price when you have to do all the threading i do it would pay its sellf off in no time
                Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

the price of the jaws is similar to the xl or xlc 2.5-4'' copper set.

i would like to see the cost of the fittings. and will it work on gal pipe?

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, have you done any Stainless Steel press jobs. We have the Viega tool down here and it is supported by Crane copper Manufacturers. To get the warranty you have to use Crane Copper but they allow for existing situations.
                    When looking through the information they claim that the tool is SS capable. Havent found anyone yet who has done SS.

Comment

i've seen stainless done at the trade shows. with the price of copper, ss is actually pretty competative in price. but i haven't xeen it in the supply house yet.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Our supply house has SS
                        Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                          thats not a bad price when you have to do all the threading i do it would pay its sellf off in no time
                          I know, I just was hoping it was a lot less. I may have to clean the solder off of my scrap copper to make it happen and dig through the cushions. I want MEGAPRESS>

Comment

Asked more about the SS today. Apparently the Germans are all over it but their standards are different to ours. i am presuming that US is also different. Anyhow had a demo, god damn it is unbelievable. problem is I am going to have to go to the GYM for a year to pump weights just so I can carry the thing to the car.
                            Back on the SS am unsure whether the Germans only use it on waste or whether they use it for process works too. Still investigating.
                            One thing suggested to me this morning was that we are no longer Craftsmen as we are embracing all these new fancy tools at the expense of the traditional methods. Just repeating a comment out loud.

Comment

Hey Rick, sorry to be hassling you over and over but you are good you know. As recently stated I too am looking to join the Pressing Club. Was looking at a job on friday. 40 mm cu in riser shaft. has its challenges but the biggest issue is cutting the tube in place to convert to a press fitting. What worries me is getting a perfect cut similar to using a tube cutter but I dont have the room for a traditional ridgid cutter. Dont want to pull the pipe off the wall too much due to age and unknown grade of cu tube. Do you know of any close quarters cutters for 40cu tube. The mini ridgid cutter doesnt stretch that far obviously. The only other tool i could think of would be something we could uses similar to the nipple thread cutter which squares the end of 1/2" brass nipples. Havent seen one for cu but then as said befoer you guys are exposed to more innovative things than most of us. We benefit from all here in learning new and different ways of approach.

Comment

either a sawzall or i use a chain cutter similar to a miniature cast iron snap cutter. it has a chain with cutter wheels. i also have a small 4 wheel cutter used for muffler work. the problem with these wheel cutters is they don't have any rollers to pinch the ridge back into itself. so you need to do a better job reaming the inside and outside of the tube.

i doubt unless you have absolutely no play in the line that that would pose an issue.

remember that you still need some clearance for the jaws of the propress to close. 40mm is 1.5'' ? you need a little over 1'' in the rear and a couple inches side to side for the jaws. slightly less if you have the propress rings.

does anyone know if 40mm pipe is equal to our 1.5'' nominal 1 5/8'' od. pipe and fittings.

40mm = 1.57480315''

i don't think so

if it was the same size, i could send you a jaw or ring to try out.

can you post a photo of the pipe installed in the shaft.

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X